Dark Areas Next to fan exhaust under load (Pic)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Arseni, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Arseni macrumors newbie

This relates to my Late 2011 MBP AntiGlare 2.2Ghz
    If I set relatively dark solid desktop background, load my MBP to heat it up (like handbrake converting full-length HD movie), and make fans run at 6200 rpm, here is what I see on my screen:

[​IMG]

Both dark areas are right next to fan exausts, so I suppose, that is heat issue.

It appears quite quickly - takes ~2 mins. And then disappears same way once job is done and it is cool again.

In real life it looks way less pronounced, than on this picture and I can live with that during high loads. But I need to make sure that is not going to be a permanent effect over time.

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

What do you imagine you could possibly do to change it?
    Let me answer that for you nothing. Might be it is heat related but it is being really picky and you can do nothing about it.

Just use a picture as a background instead of a solid blue one. With any mixed background you can not notice that little difference. Most cheaper screens have much worse brightness differences, light bleed and stuff completely unrelated to heat or use. If you can only see it with a solid color background it is really doesn't matter.

3. Arseni thread starter macrumors newbie

You right. I can't fix that And frankly I'm happy with this great screen, as I mostly use it at very low CPU use %%.

But I'm still curious - if anyone else has similar "feature" and if the screen remained perfect at low load over time.

I'm a bit scared, that if I leave the laptop compressing video for 24 hours - it could make some permanent damage.

In fact that only appears in certain conditions: Highest load and discrete video enabled. If I encode same file with Integrated card - it only gets to 4500 rpm and has no visible effect on screen.

4. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

If you're worried, you may be able to add a fan to the back to help pull the air out away from the laptop/screen. USB powered? Maybe one of those little flexible fans? And just bend it to the back near where the lid meets the bottom part where the air is currently coming out.

5. ELA2 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Can we at least be scientific here a see a pic before when it's not under load?

Thanks!

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Mine does the same under high load, it's just LCD discolouration due to heat and goes right back to normal once the load is lessened and heat goes back down.

I've been doing in for nearly 4 years, it's not permanent and doesn't seem to damage the screen in any way.

7. ShoG macrumors member

You can actually do something to prevent it. While I play a game or use handbrake I place 2 Post-It notes on the screen where the vents out over the screen. I haven't had any adhesive left on the screen after taking them off as well, and is very effective, I get no dim areas.

8. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Options for you:

Bring it to Apple, explain the problem, and maybe get the screen replaced. With a bit of luck, you get one that is less sensitive.

Buy AppleCare, push it as hard as you want, and if the screen breaks someday, have Apple fix it

Don't run very demanding jobs for extended periods of time

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Complain to Apple. Have them fix this issue. No screen on a Mac should be affected by the heat output of the computer; that's what quality control testing is for.

10. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I think all of them are affected. Part of the heat gets blown over the screen and it's heated up in those areas. This either changes the intensity of the backlight or the color of the screen in that area.
    There are small production differences between one screen and another, so maybe the OP ended up with one that is very sensitive to heat - then it might be worth getting it replaced.

11. snaky69 macrumors 603

All of the computers with the anti-glare display do it, it's nothing new.