Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Embio

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2010
Does anyone know where the dark background from Mavericks is in the filesystem? I've looked everywhere that I would expect it to be in Mountain Lion but it doesn't seem to be there....

I want to use it on my Lion install so I don't have to see that ugly textured crap ever again :)

thanks

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Does anyone know where the dark background from Mavericks is in the filesystem? I've looked everywhere that I would expect it to be in Mountain Lion but it doesn't seem to be there....

I want to use it on my Lion install so I don't have to see that ugly textured crap ever again :)

thanks

Is it actually a background pattern or just a solid color fill with some shadows added dynamically?

Embio

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2010
ah I'd assumed a background pattern...

In any case it might be better to make a guess at it.

Killa Aaron

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2011
Chicago
In Mavericks DP4 go to this location below
Code:
/System/Library/CoreServices/Setup Assistant
Run Setup Assistant, press continue then ⇧+⌘+4 then press Space, select the background to take a snapshot and quit by pressing ⌘+Q. This should be the result.

Attachments

• Mavericks Install bg.png
    Mavericks Install bg.png
    2 MB · Views: 49,125
Last edited:

Embio

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2010
great :D thanks mate

If this old laptop was a dog, it's tale would be wagging.

http://cl.ly/image/2d3d1v2u2D2b

Next thing - see if I can get Expose to work 'the old way' like you can in Mountain Lion.

Last edited:

iHateMacs

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Coventry, UK
Code:
Run Setup Assistant, press continue then ⇧+⌘+4 then press Space, select the background to take a snapshot and quit by pressing ⌘+Q. This should be the result.

Wow. I never knew you could press space and only save a window or object. Nice.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Code:

Thanks for that! Just used Onyx to make this the logon background for ML. It's one thing I miss since removing Mavericks.

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
This may come as a surprise, but can anyone here explain how to do the opposite?

By that i mean replace the mavericks backgrounds of mc, nc and launch pad with the linen from 10.8

KOTULCN

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
You can replace the login screen background with Onyx.

Where is the actual background location? The official release for Mavericks has a higher quality version of this grey background which I'd like to use elsewhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.