Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
The bottom of the screen on my 17" MBP have these dark blotches as if some of the LED's have burned out or something. This showed up a while ago, but nothing serious that would make me go to the Apple Store to get it replaced. I just turned on the screen and it is a lot worse( the blotches are a whole lot darker than they used to be).

How much does a LCD replacement cost for an Early 2008 17" MBP from Apple? Timing of it could have been better as I go back to school this week.... At least I have my iPad.

photo1eca.jpg

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
I am not that technical( or brave enough) to attempt a repair myself.

MacRacer

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2008
My Race Car
And I though I was the only one on here with the same problem. Funny. It randomly comes up on mine from time to time. A simple restart will fix it (maybe restarted a few times back to back). I running a early 08 MBP 15". I been living with it for 4 years now. I think it has to do with the LED light controller. Sometime it will pop up like that once a month to 3-4 times a week. It not all that bad of a situation. I never bothered with it since I could never get it to show up when I took it to have it fixed. I could not get Apple to fix it since it didn't show up when I took it to the Apple Store. It was the "oh, your laptop is fine, there is nothing wrong with it" line. Sucks but I managed to live with it.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
I just woke it from sleep and it is back to what it always was for a few months now where you can see it, but you can barely tell it's there.

EDIT: Woke screen up and it's back....

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.