Dark grey causes screen to flicker

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rydel, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Rydel macrumors newbie

I have a 13" MBP 2.53GHz, and I absolutely love it. However, I have one issue. I am using an Apple display port to DVI adapter to run the MBP in clamshell mode with my Samsung 221BW monitor. On websites or programs with a dark grey background, the screen flickers. The resolution is set to 1680x1050 (native) and 60Hz.

Does anybody else have this problem? Any ideas as to fixing it?

2. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

This might be the external monitor's fault, I'm not sure. Try using the auto adjust feature that the external monitor might (?) have.

3. gonewestcoast macrumors member

Hmm. I haven't noticed it; can you link to a page that has the shade of grey you're referencing?

4. Animalk macrumors 6502

I also have this problem with a 21" Dell widescreen with a TN panel. It happens with semi dark shades. Usually blues and blacks. I have never found out why. Oddly enough , if i bootcamp into windows, i don't have this problem.

I am thinking it must be some kind of combination of the dithering in OS X and the one in the display that is causing this. They both don't have enough bits to support millions of colors yet they both support them.

5. Rydel thread starter macrumors newbie

The most prominent occurrence of this problem is in Photoshop, with the gray area around the image. It's a bit annoying, but I'm glad it's not something wrong with my computer, just a universal issue.

6. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

If it's universal report the bug to Apple, otherwise nothing will happen regarding this.

7. Rydel thread starter macrumors newbie

8. mrj412 macrumors regular

I also have the Samsung monitor and it does that to me on my Mini as well. Its the monitor and I think it has a poor power supply. Try turning the brightness down on the monitor and you might hear a buzzing sound.