Dark Keyboard

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by ECB, Jan 19, 2015.

1. ECB macrumors member

I am still astonished as to why Apple will not implement the dark keyboard into one of their major iOS releases to the public. The ability to now download any keyboard you please makes me really confused as to why Apple hasn't made the option of having a "dark keyboard" to text on. I think it looks very sleek on the the Space Grey phone.

2. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

iOS 9 may have it. We'll just have to wait and see.

3. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

You can always download 3rd party keyboards such as swift

4. ECB thread starter macrumors member

I hope so, man. I think it would be a minuscule, but great addition. Especially to those that aren't fond of the using other keyboards.

5. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I think ikeywi from the App Store has a dark keyboard.

6. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

It sure would be. As you say, with a space grey iPhone, a dark keyboard would look great.

Come to think of it, Apple added a dark keyboard in a iOS 8 beta last year but it never made it to the final release.

7. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Actually it was in the iOS 7.1 beta, I believe. I think it was there in beta 1 and beta 2 as a setting under "Accessibilty" but then in beta 3 it got removed. Beta 3 however added the new fully blurred power off screen, round buttons, and round sliders. I personally loved those design decisions, aside from the removal of the awesome full screen call pics. But anyway, removing the dark keyboard really made me disappointed. Sure, I could go and get a third party keyboard, but I am perfectly satisfied with Apples keyboard. It's nice and steamline, looks pretty, I'm used to it, it has nice blurring effects (however they cause lag and stutter at times, ESPECIALLY on A7 and below iPads :mad:) and its autocorrect is satisfactory. If I have an issue with something randomly getting corrected into something undesirable, I simply make a new shortcut in keyboard settings for the correct word.

I wouldn't be too surprised if Apple implemented a "dark mode" into iOS like they did in OS X Yosemite. They already have in a couple places, in iBooks for example, if you open the app in a dark space, or you cover the ambient light sensor, the UI goes dark and looks beautiful. There's also night mode in maps, as well, however I have heard that it doesn't work any longer as of iOS 8 for some reason? Maybe they have edited code pertaining to these things in preparation for a "dark mode", somehow breaking night mode in maps? That was a very roundabout guess but it's something, I suppose. Really hoping for a dark mode.

8. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

Ah yes, it was iOS 7. The fact we kind of have a dark mode already in Yosemite (dock and menus) surely means Apple will implement it into iOS 9?

9. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

All we can do is hope at this point! If iOS 9 doesn't implement this but the update is primarily a bug fixer/performance update (like OS X Snow Leapard) I will still be more than satisfied.

10. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

Inevitably we'll see a few new features here and there but I hope the majority are big fixes!

11. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

doesnt a dark keyboard show up sometimes, like when setting up the phone for the first time, i couldve sworn it does, but isnt available for normal usage.

12. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Spotlight, entering the Apple ID password, entering the 4 digit code when you are setting up Text Message Forwarding, Quick Reply. Those are all the situations off the top of my head when you see the dark keyboard. Some third party apps have the dark keyboard pop up as well, searching something in Google's Youtube app and Skype (when first logging in) are a couple.

13. Wide opeN macrumors 6502

Wide opeN

Does anyone know SwiftKey plans to bring the space bar word insert to the iOS version of SwiftKey!?

This was my number one favorite feature of SwiftKey.

14. Jstuts5797 macrumors 6502a

15. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

Really? :rolleyes:

16. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Just... No. Yes, it makes white backgrounds nice and dark, but it screws up everything else. Who wants to see black and nasty orange for iMessage? Plus the home screen/Lockscreen/everything else look terrible.

17. RepentHarlequin macrumors newbie

Prettiest keyboard? Most useful?

Swiftly does have a really good looking dark keyboard interface.

I just wish we could resolve the “full access” gripe on the 3rd party keyboards.
    TextExpander is nice. Swype is nice, Swiftkey is gorgeous.
    Fleks, I’ve never examined closely.

I don’t build a firewall out of swiss cheese.

These are great apps & nearly essential to work well & expediently on a small iOS form factor. Shouldn’t ‘we’ do due diligence & make them more certifiably secure?

18. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I use fleksy. Has a bunch of color options. Looks pretty slick.