Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pedgie06

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2005
Hey guys, I just purchased the Dark Knight DVD and put the digital copy in iTunes exactly as the instructions said. The movie plays fine in iTunes, but whenever I try to view in on my Apple TV all I see is a white screen. I can't even hear the sound, the only thing I can see is the titles of each chapter at the bottom.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening and what needs to be done to fix it?

Thanks.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
Are you streaming it from your computer's iTunes or is the digital copy actually on the AppleTV?

By the way, I just bought the 2-disc special edition during my lunch break. It's a great movie.

Pedgie06

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2005
Are you streaming it from your computer's iTunes or is the digital copy actually on the AppleTV?

By the way, I just bought the 2-disc special edition during my lunch break. It's a great movie.

Yea, it is a great movie!

I am streaming it from iTunes.

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
I've seen this happen a few times. Power cycle your :apple:TV by unplugging it and that will solve the problem. Until it happens again.

Regards,
Michael

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
Does anyone know if there is a quality difference between the Blu-Ray digital copy and the DVD digital copy? Do they both play on iTunes/AppleTV?

jbrenn

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
does anyone know if you have to have a blu-ray drive to get the digital copy, or is disk 2 just a dvd?

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Does anyone know if there is a quality difference between the Blu-Ray digital copy and the DVD digital copy? Do they both play on iTunes/AppleTV?

does anyone know if you have to have a blu-ray drive to get the digital copy, or is disk 2 just a dvd?

This will kind of answers both of your questions. How the digital copy works is there is an extra disc included with the DVD or Blu-Ray that has the digital copy on it. So you don't need a blu-ray drive on your computer and there is no quality difference between the digital copy with the DVD and the digital copy with the blu-ray.

Joe M

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2008
Does anyone know if the digital copy is the same as the digital version available from the iTunes Store, I have read its the same size, 1.67GB, and the digital copy is the IMAX version but is the artwork the same as on the iTunes store since I wanted to buy it off iTunes? Thanks.

erch63

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2007
New to this whole digital version stuff need clarification

Does the second disk in the blue ray version play in any standard DVD or only allow adding to my itunes library.

I have long thought that the blue ray disks need to include a standard DVD copy for playing in players like the one in my car. I have wanted to purchase bluerays but the sheer number of dvd only players I have and my kids use, I usually get the standard DVDs. Is this digital copy the solution?

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
Does the second disk in the blue ray version play in any standard DVD or only allow adding to my itunes library.

I have long thought that the blue ray disks need to include a standard DVD copy for playing in players like the one in my car. I have wanted to purchase bluerays but the sheer number of dvd only players I have and my kids use, I usually get the standard DVDs. Is this digital copy the solution?

It only allows you to play it in iTunes. If you have AppleTV, you can stream it to your TV that way.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008

The digital copy DVD in the *Blu-ray* set is basically a data DVD with a protected .m4v file on it. You can't play it on a DVD player, but you can use all of the Apple methods of playing the digital file (iTunes, AppleTV, iPod/iPhone).

vashnar

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2008
Fullscreen/Widescreen?

I watched the digital copy on my HDTV via Apple TV last night and noticed that some scenes are full screen and some widescreen.

Anyone know why that might be?

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
I watched the digital copy on my HDTV via Apple TV last night and noticed that some scenes are full screen and some widescreen.

Anyone know why that might be?

I don't know about the digital copy, but from what I've read it might be as simple as that it was made that way.
One reviewer of the BD complained about alternating aspect ratios, most of it was in 2.40:1, but some in 1.78:1.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
I don't know about the digital copy, but from what I've read it might be as simple as that it was made that way.
One reviewer of the BD complained about alternating aspect ratios, most of it was in 2.40:1, but some in 1.78:1.

What do you mean? The only time I've seen this happen is when you purchase full screen DVDs, sometimes there are scenes that go out to wide screen. This shouldn't be happening a lot during a movie.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Its because it was shot for IMAX, so the ratio does change during the film without warning.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I don't have the Blu Ray version, but the standard wide screen version does not switch back and forth between aspect ratios.

Its kind of weird. The only reason I noticed it was because I knew it was going to happen at certain points having read about it online in advance.

trey22

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2008
Play it on Iphone

I got the Digital copy and followed Itunes instructions.

But How do I put this on iphone for viewing.

It shows up on Movies in my Itunes. But wanted to transfer to iphone for portable viewing and showing off. LOL

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
I got the Digital copy and followed Itunes instructions.

But How do I put this on iphone for viewing.

It shows up on Movies in my Itunes. But wanted to transfer to iphone for portable viewing and showing off. LOL

If you don't have syncing turned on, just drag and drop the movie from iTunes over your iPhone image on the iTunes sidebar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.