Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sza

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 21, 2010
I just noticed that my new iPad 3 has this problem: the left top corner of the screen is a little bit darker than the right top corner. Actually all the left side along edge is a bit darker.

When I open the Safari, I can see the color of the search bar at both ends are not consistent. But when I rotate to the right, they seem to be the same, which can prove the the color is not consistent from life to right in the portrait mode.

Is anyone seeing the same issue? I think I make take it back to the apple store to check.

Thanks in advance!

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
I'm afraid that its just part of the shocking quality control from Apple this time around. I'm on my fifth new iPad and although its the best one it still has dust under the screen and scuffs on the case.

There are those on this forum who think this is fine. I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 yesterday new for £279 and it has no quality control issues. And it's 40% of the cost.

I think I'm going to give up and go Samsung. Yeah the screen isn't so good etc. But it doesn't annoy me when I use it and I don't feel I've been screwed.

And no doubt the Apple fanbois will flame me now. I'm one of them. I have everything Apple.

GUCCIMAN

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
My screen is perfect IMO to my preference except for the dang brightness inconsistency... Mine looks like I dirtied down the middle of it cause its all darker and Crap. Exchange urs if your not happy, u paid for a brand new as advertised, not an inferior.

magnusforza

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2012
I just noticed that my new iPad 3 has this problem: the left top corner of the screen is a little bit darker than the right top corner. Actually all the left side along edge is a bit darker.

When I open the Safari, I can see the color of the search bar at both ends are not consistent. But when I rotate to the right, they seem to be the same, which can prove the the color is not consistent from life to right in the portrait mode.

Is anyone seeing the same issue? I think I make take it back to the apple store to check.

Thanks in advance!

There are many threads in this forum that indicate an uneven (non-uniform) tint. Try to exchange it as you'll notice it all the time and be annoyed by it.

I bet many people who bought the new iPad haven't yet noticed it. They're too busy playing games or watching videos, which will not give them the opportunity to observe it. Once they start using the device to read stuff, we'll barraged with posts like this.

sza

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 21, 2010
Updated

I just got my iPad replaced. The new one looks very good. However, both left and right edges look a little bit darker holding in portrait. As long as they are symmetric, i won't bother to replace it till a perfect one.

Maybe I should just wait for a couple of months to replace it for a better one :D

Btw, the color are almost consistence, I still can see some part is a little bit yellow but it is not that obvious.

If you consider to buy one right now, I really recommend you to just wait for another 2 months if you don't want it badly. Apple will definitely fixed the manufacturing issue and improved the quality control over time.

Last edited:

NYCphone

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2007
Left side of my iPad is slightly more yellow/darker than the right. I may try to exchange - concerned ill get something worse...

Sowelu

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
New York City
You'd better back out of this thread while you're ahead. Around here, a keen eye for distracting, uneven back-lit (and tinted) displays apparently equates to having 'OCD'.

You see, all 3rd generation iPad displays are actually perfect, regardless of the countless posts claiming otherwise. Keep in mind that your perceived flawed iPad somehow reduces the user experience for those who have a perceived 'perfect' one.

Humans are so funny.

sza

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 21, 2010
You'd better back out of this thread while you're ahead. Around here, a keen eye for distracting, uneven back-lit (and tinted) displays apparently equates to having 'OCD'.

You see, all 3rd generation iPad displays are actually perfect, regardless of the countless posts claiming otherwise. Keep in mind that your perceived flawed iPad somehow reduces the user experience for those who have a perceived 'perfect' one.

Humans are so funny.

When a problem becomes so obvious, you can't claim people are picky. It is a really bad idea that Apple uses sumsung's display. Samsung is undermining Apple's legendary product quality.

----------

I wonder if there is really an even screen out there.

I doubt that. I will definitely try another time to get my iPad replaced. But now for right now, maybe I will wait for couple of months for the better product.

It is crazy to tolerate such a defect product.

----------

Left side of my iPad is slightly more yellow/darker than the right. I may try to exchange - concerned ill get something worse...

I recommend you to hold off til Aug or Sep when Apple starts to use LG's screen.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
When a problem becomes so obvious, you can't claim people are picky. It is a really bad idea that Apple uses sumsung's display. Samsung is undermining Apple's legendary product quality.

Undermining legendary product quality :rolleyes:? Apple has seen many problematic products in the past decade. Anyway you should consider problems early in a production cycle, and regarding Samsung, they're one of the panel types used in macbook pros. Okay so they changed some things, gamut, pixel density, etc. I don't know if the backlight is fitted at Samsung or by Foxconn. They should be doing some kind of final testing at Foxconn. This is normal. In general a concern would be if the testing methods and tolerance levels in place work for the current product being manufactured. Your fanboy anger is misplaced though:p. Somehow when something is good, you attribute it to Apple. When something is bad, you push the failure onto another company even when such a thing should be caught during or before final inspection.

EarlZ

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2012
As far as the end users concern it is an apple product so any blame goes to apple, they perform the assembly and quality testing not samsung. If you return your Ipad3 for a screen issue you dont ship it to samsung you send it back to apple. Common sense.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
There are many threads in this forum that indicate an uneven (non-uniform) tint. Try to exchange it as you'll notice it all the time and be annoyed by it.

I bet many people who bought the new iPad haven't yet noticed it. They're too busy playing games or watching videos, which will not give them the opportunity to observe it. Once they start using the device to read stuff, we'll barraged with posts like this.

It's such a shame people are too busy using the device to notice imperfections that can only be found when you have to look for them. :rolleyes:

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
It's such a shame people are too busy using the device to notice imperfections that can only be found when you have to look for them. :rolleyes:

To be fair, I didn't notice the uneven tinting on my first "new iPad" until about five days in when I started reading an ebook on it. It wasn't something that I went in looking for, but once I noticed it, it was very bothersome and readily apparent on anything with a white background. My replacement isn't perfect, but it's better, and I'm happy with it.

andross77

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
You just have to read...

This. 75% of my ipad use is using a bible software called Logos. The normal screen is white background with the Scripture in black text. It has a good margin on all 4 sides where it should just be white and so the uneven lighting is VERY EASY to notice.

If held in portrait, the bottom left corner is a cool white/blue, perfect screen color imho. The top left corner is dark and ever so slightly pink (that would be being a bit picky though). But the darkness compared to the bottom left is very noticeable. So the Bible is displayed in two columns of text and i'm reading the left columna and it's this perfect cool white/blue and then i get to the top of the right column and it's BAM, DARK!

Obviously, i can read in landscape and then the dark corner goes to the bottom right which i'll just see right before i turn the page and i can change the app to have a black background and white letters which solves the issue completely, but i prefer reading black text on a white background since that's what i'm used to (all the paperback books i read and all my internet browsing reading is in this format).

I did one exchange and got rid of a clump of dead pixels and edge light bleeding. This has neither but still has the non-uniform lighting (which is easily the most distracting of the 3). Oh and my first one had the uneven lighting too. So i went from 3 product deformities to 1. So i've decided to keep it but it kinda sucks that when i read, my eyes and brain notice this light-to-dark-to-light-back-to-dark scenario EVERY time i read. Will i get used to it overtime and stop processing that every time i sit down to read? I hope so.....:rolleyes:

LiveFreeDie

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2010
I'm on my 2nd iPad at the moment. While it yellow tint around the left side isn't as bad as my first iPad its definitely there. Its only really noticeable when there is a white background such as visiting mac rumors.

I have about a week before I can't return it back to best buy. I don't know if I should bring it back to best buy or just hold on to it for a few months then try to get it exchanged at the Apple store and hope the screen tint is fixed by then. If I bring it back to best buy I would be without a tablet as I sold my other to help pay for the new iPad.

Sowelu

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
New York City

----------

I doubt that. I will definitely try another time to get my iPad replaced. But now for right now, maybe I will wait for couple of months for the better product.

It is crazy to tolerate such a defect product.

----------

I recommend you to hold off til Aug or Sep when Apple starts to use LG's screen.

I know, I was having some fun with the ‘if it’s good enough for me it should be good enough for you’ crowd.

I feel your pain. The uneven backlight, dark corners, greenish drab tints to the left or right are totally distracting. I wasn’t looking for problems, they were blatantly obvious while reading email, browsing the web, going through FlipBook and reading iBooks. You know, pretty much 90% of my iPad usage.

While I hold Apple in the highest regard and have been a fan of their products for a couple of decades, this is certainly not the first time they released products with inferior quality LCD panels. This time around the display is the selling point for the 3rd generation iPad.

I don’t care how many pixels you’re able to cram into a display, if Samsung and friends cannot get the backlight and color temperature/uniformity right, what’s the point? Also, the inconsistences and variances from one display to another is out of control. And, would it kill them to throw a bit more contrast and vibrancy into each panel? Some displays are vibrant, others aren’t. Variances are normal, drastic ones are not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.