"Dark Mode"

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by orestes1984, Jul 24, 2014.

1. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

Is anyone else finding this just looks like high contrast mode from accessibility? I'm not sure I like it, the white font on a black background looks kinda crappy to me.

2. Markvnl macrumors newbie

3. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I'm wondering if calibrating the display would help? It's like a day and night difference at the moment Yosemite Vs Mavericks using the same profile.

4. orestes1984 thread starter macrumors 65816

I haven't done a colour calibration as yet, it may help, but, so far I think dark mode looks like freshly warm poop.

5. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

It’s a beta release. OF COURSE it’s not finished yet.

6. orestes1984 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, but as a gauge of where its at now, which is all we can go by it looks kinda crappy. Hopefully the Apple developers take note of all the feedback.

7. g35, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2014

g35 macrumors 6502a

Sorry to hijack but my dark mode's menus are only, gray, not translucent black like shown on the front page article. Is this just a bug or is there a setting I can change somewhere?

I've attached both what mine looks like and what I was hoping it'd look like from the front page article

Edit: fixed, it was the translucent menu bar option in Desktop & Screen Saver settings

Attached Files:

8. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

I think they need to rethink Dark Mode. I mean, this doesn't make any sense to me... the menu bar is black, but the Safari Bar isn't. Maybe they're still working on it.

Screen Shot 2014-07-24 at 10.00.54 PM.png

9. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

Maybe you have translucency disabled in accessibility preferences? That is my best guess. Not running Yosemite now so I can't check.

I'm a little disappointed with dark mode myself. For some reason it makes the menu bar look HUGE on my macbook air. I really like the regular mode though so not complaining.

10. g35 macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your reply. I figured it out just before coincidentally. I had translucent menu bar disabled from when I was on 10.9. Apparently that affects menus as well. Enabled it and it's now translucent black.

11. orestes1984 thread starter macrumors 65816

It's incomplete, that's another issue yes that apps will need to be coded for Dark Mode as its not a system wide theme. What I'm saying however is that it just looks like high contrast mode out of accessibility in Mavericks.

I have seen a lot better efforts at coding a dark theme, even Adobe and Pixelmator do a better job at dark themes. Apple's dark theme so far is just not very good at all, but then OS X has never been a dark operating system and has always been light and colourful.