Dark Mode

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Kurri, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Kurri macrumors 6502

EDIT: Nevermind. Found it under settings appearance.

I like the new dark mode. much easier on the eyes.

so how do you enable dark mode? Did a google search and can't find anything. I'm sure I am just missing something very simple.

2. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

3. steve123 macrumors regular

Finally, its back!

4. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

5. davidoloan macrumors 6502

Black text on a dark grey background? (in the Music app for example) Very hard to read in a lighted room.

I still have Apple TV3 and I like its dark interface much better than the bright version. It was always perfect in a dark room or a lighted room.

Not sure about this new version.

6. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

It would be cool if there was a setting based on sunrise and sunset, where it is dark mode at night and light mode during the day. F.lux does this on OSX, and it's pretty nice.

7. jdag macrumors 6502a

Not for me...I thought the light mode was atrocious! I still am baffled how the designers at Apple ever considered that a smart decision.

But now that both light and dark are available, a quick Siri command allows you to change as you wish.

8. davidoloan macrumors 6502

This one is described as for dim rooms. The old one wasn't.

9. MistrSynistr macrumors 6502a

The light mode looks more "clean" and professional. I can see the idea they were going for with it when you own other boxes like Roku and such with their wacky colors. The white tends to make things look more modern/pricey.

That being said, I have it on dark mode on my ATV4.

10. McScooby macrumors 6502

Now they just need to show recently added films next to top films up top main screen ala :apple:TV3 & we'll be good to go!:)

11. entropyfl macrumors regular

I always preferred the "My Movies" My TV shows" way of listing things instead of the purchased tab they currently use.

12. McScooby macrumors 6502

It's not the purchased ones I mean, on 3 u see your own recently added, I kinda hate that since the apple tv 1, your own movies are treated different layout as purchased.

13. jdag macrumors 6502a

To each, his own. I am not sure what you are getting at with descriptors like clean, professional, modern, and pricey. But I think that the dark looks infinitely better and has the added benefit of not turning your TV into a spotlight.

14. jerm13 macrumors member

I love the new dark mode. Much easier on my eyes.

15. MistrSynistr macrumors 6502a

White is a clean look in the design world. I do lots of graphic design and marketing, utilizing a white background over another color makes the product look more elegant/pricey/upscale.

16. jdag macrumors 6502a

I will defer to your expertise.

But IMO and in the case of the AppleTV interface, white makes the product blinding! I am sure there are people that loved it. I hated it.

17. NY Guitarist macrumors 65816

NY Guitarist

I'm pleased that dark mode is available, but wouldn't mind being able to select the degree of 'light/dark'.

18. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Instantly better. So glad Dark Mode is finally here.

19. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

There's nothing "pricey" about the light mode or white stuff in general. There's a reason why the jet black iPhone 7 was chosen as the premium/flagship version... but if you feel that the least popular one (basic silver/white) screams luxury, then by all means go for it.

As for UI graphics, dark mode is a professional application carryover that came to us through stuff like Apple's Pro apps (Final Cut etc) as well as the Adobe CS/CC suites. That's also the source from which monochrome toolbars first re-emerged and became fashionable again, after a few years of going nuts with colors. It makes sense, since creatives like the UI to take a couple of steps back and let the content pop, without distractions. I would argue that a dark UI pro product such as Logic looks considerably more pricey than bright UI consumer freebies such as Pages and Numbers.

Besides, it's only the Home Screen anyway. All the important ATV4 apps - Netflix, HBO etc are black as the night and that's where you spend your time. The exception would be Plex, which is and always was black/graphite with orange accents on every platform prior to ATV4. Some like this different look, I don't... I think it looks like some alpha version with placeholder UI elements.

20. jdag macrumors 6502a

I read on a Plex forum that a dark mode is coming soon and will be the default, although a timeframe was not provided. I don't have the link to where I read that though.

21. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

22. jdag macrumors 6502a