Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomwalsh77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Blackpool, UK
Every now and then the screen on my iMac dims and all that is visible is the desktop background and the dock. If I click on icon on the dock it returns to normal. Is this a glitch or am I doing something to invoke this response? I've got a feeling this is a stupid question but if you don't ask...

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
Can you post a picture of it? I'm guessing its just the screen auto dim (made to save power) but I can't be sure without seeing it.

If it is the auto dim feature, I can walk you through disabling it.

tomwalsh77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Blackpool, UK
Can you post a picture of it? I'm guessing its just the screen auto dim (made to save power) but I can't be sure without seeing it.

If it is the auto dim feature, I can walk you through disabling it.

It's just happened again, I'm not sure if I inadvertently did some magic mouse gesture or something but wile I was browsing the web my safari window just vanished and the screen dimmed. A click of the mouse on the screen brought the window back. I don't think it's the power saving feature as I was moving the mouse just moments before it happened. Any ideas anyone? :confused:

ScreenShot2013-03-03at135709.png

Not sure this image will help...

Last edited:

smokeyrabbit

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2005
Escape from New England
I think this is your Application Windows mode of Mission Control. The default keyboard control is Control-down arrow. You can change this in System Preferences > Mission Control. I'm not sure why it's not showing a smaller window that you can press tab to cycle through all the open applications though.

tomwalsh77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Blackpool, UK
I think this is your Application Windows mode of Mission Control. The default keyboard control is Control-down arrow. You can change this in System Preferences > Mission Control. I'm not sure why it's not showing a smaller window that you can press tab to cycle through all the open applications though.

Thanks for your help but when I press control + down arrow, my safari window stays open. When this happened last time the safari window disappeared but then reappeared when I clicked on the desktop. Also it happened while using the mouse, I wasn't even touching the keyboard. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.