Dark Sky for Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by AJsAWiz, May 18, 2015.

1. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Has anyone tried Dark Sky for their watch? I really need to know the wind speed and it doesn't look like Dark Sky reports wind speeds.

Right now I'm using the Weather Channel and Apple's weather app on my watch.
    Are there any other weather apps (besides Weather Channel) that give wind speed information? Any suggestions?

2. CobraPA macrumors 6502

Wunderground doesn't have a watch app yet, or they would be a good bet. What kind of wind are you looking for? Maybe ForeFlight, but it's a pilot app and kind of expensive for data if you just want wind. I haven't checked if wind is available on their watch app view though.

Windfinder would be good if they had a watch app.

3. Bfarmer38119 macrumors newbie

On my watch Dark Sky reports Current conditions, wind (speed and direction), visibility, humidity, dew pt and pressure.

4. AJsAWiz, May 18, 2015
    Last edited: May 18, 2015

AJsAWiz thread starter macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Wind Speed and Direction with Forecast

:(
    I need wind speed information (like what is available on the Weather Channel app) for cycling. Wind speed and direction information is necessary for me before I start a ride. Also the hourly forecast is helpful as well. Yes, I realize I could just stick with the Weather Channel; I was looking for something different to access on my Apple Watch.

----------

Oh, cool! I didn't see that in the description on the App Store.
    Guess I can go ahead and make that purchase now ;)

Many thanks!

Update:
    Just bought and downloaded Dark Sky. It's a nice weather app but no wind speed or direction information on my iPhone, iPad or Apple Watch. :( Am I missing something?

5. Aeromech macrumors member

On iPhone touch the round current temperature button on the main page and it shows wind speed and direction as well as pressure, dew point, humidityand visibility.
    On watch scroll down for the same info.

6. AJsAWiz thread starter macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Happy Camper!

Ah, so there it is! i noticed, as I was reading the reviews for Dark Sky, that I wasn't the only one who wasn't able to find the wind speed and direction. :eek:

Okay, now I'm ready to leave my 5 star rating for Dark Sky.
    It was, well worth, the $3.99 paid. I really appreciate your help in finding the wind speed and direction information. Tapping the round temperature circle, on the iPhone, seems a little non intuitive and something I probably wouldn't have figured out on my own :confused:

7. CobraPA macrumors 6502

Yes, I agree. I've been a fan of Dark Sky for a long time, because of the incoming rain warnings. I had never tapped on the temp circle before. Thanks for the tip!

8. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

Wunderground does have a watch app, actually. I like it because so far it's the only watch weather app that I've found that shows a radar image on the watch. Unfortunately, however, it doesn't show wind speed or direction.

As others have stated, though, the dark sky watch app does show wind speed and direction though:)

9. CobraPA macrumors 6502

Nice... I searched iTunes prior to posting that, and thought it didn't show the Apple Watch for the Wunderground app. Must have missed it! Thanks.

10. dedufour41 macrumors regular

dedufour41

Been using this watch app since April 24... Now I only use Dark Sky on iPhone and iPad. ��

11. Aeromech macrumors member

Don't feel to bad!!!
    I've had Dark Sky for quite some time now and only discovered it a month or so ago.#
    It's definitely not very intuitive.

12. Seekeroftruth macrumors member

I love this app. Having an alert on my watch when it is about to rain in real time is great. It let's me know when to go outside, light a pipe, and enjoy a storm.

13. extricated macrumors 6502

extricated

That's what I'm talking about!

14. Ergates-thi-Ant macrumors 6502

Here you go. First page of Dark Sky - just scroll down:

Attached Files:

15. Yptcn macrumors 6502a

Yptcn

Oh how I wish Dark Sky worked for my country ! I've contacted the devs a couple of times and the answerd me they were working on it...

16. AJsAWiz thread starter macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Still loving Dark Sky!

Okay, I feel better ;)
    I think Dark Sky is becoming my favorite weather app. I just might ditch the rest in favor of it. The more I use it the less I have a need for the Weather Channel (depended on this before Dark Sky).

17. dedufour41 macrumors regular

dedufour41

;)

18. Aeromech macrumors member

Another really good weather app I like is Radar Cast.
    It has everything but wind direction and has the moving radar map on the watch. It also gives warnings of rain. If you set up other warnings like flash floods, severe thunderstorms and tornadoes etc. on the phone it will show the boxes on the watch radar.
    It's a toss up between Dark Sky and Radar Cast for which is my primary go to app.
    Radar Cast also has drought layer, lightning strikes, wild fires etc.
    Personally I highly recommend either.

19. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

I just downloaded Dark Sky and enabled the glance for it in my AW, but the sentence stating the current conditions in the middle gets cut off. For example it will just say "Some clouds in the after noon, but expect..." And that's it?

Anyone else get this?

20. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

I love Dark Sky on the watch. I think it's one of the best third part apps I've used and have replaced Apple's stock weather glance with it.

21. elemenohme macrumors member

You may just need to swipe up to see the rest.

I don't use the app much but I do like the notifications on the watch when it's about to rain. Came in handy this morning!