Dark smudge on iMac screen... take to the genius bar?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by solideliquid, Oct 30, 2011.

1. solideliquid macrumors 6502

solideliquid

I'm not sure if there's something I can do at home, and given that my 2010 27" iMac is a beast I wanted to share here before I lug this thing to the store.

I've included a picture of what I'm talking about. You can't really see it unless you have a white background. At first I thought it was dirt and tried to wipe it away, which didn't help.

Attached Files:

2. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Yeah I had it too and brought my iMac in. It's a very common problem with an iMac. They tell me it's caused by overheated lcd panel. Well that makes sense since basically iMac panel is toasted in front of heatsink and other components.

So .. If you still have warranty or applecare, they'll replace your panel. The problem could be back though :(

3. solideliquid thread starter macrumors 6502

solideliquid

Is it worth it to bring it in? Especially if it could come back? It's not that big a deal to me.

The thing is I have until Dec 15 for my warranty to run out.

4. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Sure it's worth it. They'll replace the panel for free. At least you gonna enjoy clean lcd again :)

The only drawback is that you need to live without iMac for a few days, which is hard :D

5. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Do it man. Loads of people take their apple products in that are fine and abuse the more than fair policy that apple operate, you genuinly have a reason to get yours fixed by the sound of it.