iPad Dark smudges on iPad Air 2 screen

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MentalFloss, Oct 26, 2014.

1. MentalFloss macrumors 6502a

MentalFloss

I had used an iPad 3 before, and fingerprints on the screen had never bothered me, but with the Air 2, they are extremely noticeable. When I scroll through a website with a light background for example (i.e. Basically every website), every little bit of grease on the screen appears as a grey shadow. I turned down the brightness a bit, which has helped, but it didn't fix the problem.

Anyone else noticed this?

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

3. iF34R macrumors 6502a

iF34R

QR = Yes.

4. puma1552 macrumors 601

5. MentalFloss thread starter macrumors 6502a

MentalFloss

Uhm... great... but why didn't I need a screen protector with the iPad 3 to solve this?

6. donnaw macrumors 65816

I notice it too. Like little shadows. I suspect the new anti-reflective coating has something to do with it.

I'm not fussed. The anti-reflective stuff helps when I'm out on the patio but I have to use a screen protector. Just can't chance scratching the screen. That would drive me crazy.

7. dannyyankou, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  8. puma1552 macrumors 601

well you can use one and not have a problem, not use one and have a problem, or return it and buy a competing tablet

9. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

I think you will find that after a couple of days of steady use, the smudges will become less noticeable, as the oils from your fingers spread over the glass. I had dark smudges on the first couple of days...I don't see them any more.

10. cababah macrumors 68000

Microfiber cloth...don't leave home without it.

Seriously, I always pack one when traveling with any of my iDevices. I'm a tad OCD about keeping my screens clean.

11. Snapperjw macrumors regular

Totally agree, clean the screen several times a day

12. MentalFloss thread starter macrumors 6502a

MentalFloss

Well, apparently it's not that bad, or else there would be more people complaining.

I obviously got a lemon anyway, because I get an estimated 7 hours of battery time out of my Air 2. I'm just trying to figure out if it will be a return or an exchange. ;)

13. ozshadow, Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2014

ozshadow macrumors regular

I have noticed this as well. It looks like I have dirty hands but they are clean. It resembles fingerprint dusting powder.

14. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

I've noticed this too. Have also noticed that the screen is a lot 'stickier' than my iPad 3. I cannot perform fluid swipes. Not a deal breaker, but will most probably get a screen protector soon.