Dark spot on the display

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by adydas78, May 15, 2009.

1. adydas78 macrumors newbie

Hi

I have a dark spot on my MacBook display of diameter 0.15 inches (or 4 mm). The spot is bright if looked from an angle.
    I brought my Mac to the Apple Care and I just received the verdict: the spot was caused by ME by applying extra pressure to the LCD!. Which is not covered by Apple Care warranty!

That's interesting since I am 100% sure that I didn't harm the screen. The guy even suggested that I forgot my pen on the keyboard and closed the laptop! That's great!

I told the Apple guy to send me back the laptop as it is after he offered a repair for $700 plus tax! But I am determined to go on with this since I love my Mac, I spent a lot of money on it and I know for sure that the damn spot appeared there without my "help"!

Anyone had the same problem? Any ideas what to do?

Thanks,

A.

2. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

There's no way they can prove that and I would continue to elevate the case as best I could I have yet to have such issues, but it sounds ridiculous.

3. adydas78 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, thanks,

It's ridiculous indeed! I will send e-mails and contact Apple until they decide to do something about it. After searching the forums, I saw that other people have this problem too! Apple should accept that this is a product flaw and replace the display immediately, without having the genius bar guys making stupid blames!

4. youssefm macrumors 6502

I suggest you either return to the store and speak to a manager, or call applecare over the phone, they seem to be more helpful, in my cases at least

5. adydas78 thread starter macrumors newbie

Will do thanks, I won't let this die!

6. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

If all else fails, go to the store and speak with people looking at Macs (the consumers), tell them that Apple has horrible warranty service and quickly summarize your issues in a quick sentence. Make sure it's near the Genius Bar. ;) Though, I suppose they could kick you out and in turn, lessen your chances; a double bladed sword. I suppose if nothing else works, though...Good luck no matter what path you follow! :)

7. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Unfortunately Apple is typically useless when it comes to screen issues on their laptops, even with Applecare and warranty intact. I make half my living from that very fact. From my knowledge they replace the entire assembly instead of just the LCD which accounts for why they charge so much. I am not sure if it is companywide policy or not, since they do not even quote the same price for repair at different Apple stores across the country for the same model.

I understand that this is not economical. IMO, the best and cheapest solution is to replace just the LCD yourself. You can argue with Apple until you're blue in the face, they won't give you a new LCD and put it in for free. The cost of repair will exceed the cost of buying a used machine with equal specs off eBay.

You can find the same Samsung model Apple uses in the 13.3" white & black macbooks from 2006-2008(not unibody models) here cheaper than you can anywhere else. Opening it is not difficult if you have someone walk you through the things screenintek's guide leaves out. Do not use the iFixit(iBrokeit!) guide, as it has many unnecessary steps and assumes you are replacing the entire display assembly and not just the LCD.

If you do decide to go this route after dealing with Apple and need help, feel free to PM and I can help walk you through the process. A lot of guides are criticially flawed in that the writers forgot the mistakes they made and the confusion they felt the first time they opened their machine. The guide leaves out a lot of direction I feel is required to do it properly, because they have mastered it, and are not thinking about what they are doing as they perform the repair.

8. Toofan macrumors member

What they're referring to is a pinch in the screen which is almost always caused by excessive pressure to an LCD display, but not always. One of my Macbooks had one which was exactly like you described, a dark line when you look at it straight on and white when you look at it from a leftwards angle. It was there hours after I had gotten my Macbook ALU, I hadn't even touched the display...ever LOL

If you're rocking a Mac ALU, do inform the Apple Care guy that putting pressure a screen with a glass cover in front of it, hard enough to make a pinch spot would pretty much require the glass cracking first.

9. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

It sounds like certain pixel on your display are bent from some kinda pressure or manufacturers defect in the wrong direction somehow based on the viewing angle observation. I'd demand it be replaced, it clearly not your fault. Its a shame that apple uses such cheap displays in their mobile line.

10. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Please do report back after doing this. I have never heard a success story even with applecare/warranty on display issues, if you were to have success it would set a precedent for others which is important in obtaining improved customer service for everyone.

11. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

That's encouraging :eek:

12. Germwise macrumors regular

With glass covering the entire LCD its pretty clear that this was not caused by you.

Do you have the schematics/picture of what the MB top looks without the screen? Is there a screw or something behind that area? that would be a strong argument.

I read someone doing the same thing regarding a touchpad crack on these forumss.

Be nice and tell them you don't want a new MB, just for them to fix the screen.

13. adydas78 thread starter macrumors newbie

HI All,

Thanks for your replys! I will follow up with this in two months. Unfortunately I need to travel now andI need my laptop. I told Apple Care to send me back the laptop as it is and I'll fight with them again in August. I am living in North Carolina, here the store and Apple Care are in the same location, same unit. I plan to go back there in August and talk with store manager, or some higher figure than a genius bar smart ass.

In other developments, I did call Apple Care on the phone (someone here suggested they might be helpful). They were nice indeed, but couldn't help. Again, they suggested that if I'm positive that I didn't harm the screen, maybe I gave my laptop to someone else who applied some pressure! :)). Stupid!

However, thanks again, I'll keep you all posted after my trip!

A.