Dark spot / vertical line on rMBP 15 late 2013

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phoneorpda, Nov 27, 2013.

1. phoneorpda macrumors regular

Hello all,

I just received my BTO 2.6/16/1TB rMBP and i love it...however...I have noticed a vertical line /dark spot to the right of the screen, which shows up only over white or grey solid backgrounds. I saw it once, now i see it every time.

Would i be starting an endless search for a perfect screen if i were to return this, or is it something that can be addressed at the apple store without having to return the whole laptop?

Should i just learn to live with it? It's not a deal breaker but as i said now that i know it's there i see it often (mostly when browsing).

I am attaching a picture, although it's hard to catch it on camera.

thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. phoneorpda thread starter macrumors regular

3. Baadshah macrumors 6502

I can't find any line, I can see yellowish tint on the left side.
    If you are still under your 14 days period, get a replacement or refund.

4. zI INFINITY Iz macrumors regular

It's on the right side at the bottom of the screen, you should zoon in a little then it will be quite clear. It's kind of a line starting from the dark bezel going up a little on the screen. I would exchange it.

5. raybies macrumors member

This is known as uniformity... and very few screen are completely uniform with their backlighting.

It's just the way LED LCD's are... my current one isn't too bad, my previous on a definite banding.

My Samsung TV is REALLY bad. Won every TV award going in 2011 (Samsung UA55D8000).

I know it's a little annoying when you boot up, but come on do you see it any other time?

UNLESS your referring to the small dot+1mm line on the right bottom... looks like a hair to me. You need to take a pic with a macro lens.

6. phoneorpda thread starter macrumors regular

Yup it's not really visible besides boot up and the occasional white browser page.
    I am a bit worried if i exchange it i will get a unit with more issues...plus it's a BTO, so i can't just exchange it but would have to return it.

7. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

My first display had a visible dark streak running vertically across the middle and I found myself noticing it often.

I exchanged it. Took 6 days to receive my BTO replacement. The new one is great--well worth the hassle. But again, I really only bothered because it bugged me in everyday use.

Playing the "display lottery" is not as much fun as it sounds! ;)