Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple appears to have originally designed an Apple Watch Ultra with a dark ceramic back, according to documents filed with the United States Federal Communications Commission and spotted by @ParrotSWD on X, formerly Twitter (via 9to5Mac).

apple-watch-ultra-prototype-fcc.jpg

When releasing a new device, tech hardware companies must share details with the FCC, which Apple did for the Apple Watch Ultra prior to its release in September 2022.

In the document, Apple appears to have used an Apple Watch Ultra with a darker, almost black ceramic rear case – similar to Apple Watch Series models – and a plastic-looking Action button with no indent. These design attributes did not make it into the final release.

Often in filings of this type, external photos and other sensitive details are subject to a confidentiality clause with an expiry date, so it is likely that the clause in this one recently expired, hence why the images have only just come to light.

Apple currently offers the Apple Watch Ultra 2, released in September 2023, in the same natural titanium color as the first-generation model. Prior to launch, some rumors suggested Apple could release a new darker color option that was originally tested for the previous model but ultimately canceled. It didn't happen.

Article Link: Darker Apple Watch Ultra Prototype Shown in FCC Filing Images

Last edited:

Skyscraperfan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2021
As Marquess pointed put the reason for not making a dark version probably were possible scratches that would look bright, if they just applied a black coating. So before they release a dark model they would need to get the actual titanium dark. Not sure how that would be possible. Could you melt the titanium and than mix some colour into it?

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
That power button without the indent makes it look fake.

Apple likely planned (and will) release a dark version, but maybe the coating process didn't pass QC and the likelyhood of it chipping when getting knocked would make them look bad (the phones are often in a case, or at least held in hand to protect).

Steve-Jobz

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2023
Forgive me, my first reaction was……Is this model fingerprint-proof?😂

BTW, it’s definitely the coooooolest AW Ultra model.

Last edited:
Reactions: Betterinperson

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
As Marquess pointed put the reason for not making a dark version probably were possible scratches that would look bright, if they just applied a black coating. So before they release a dark model they would need to get the actual titanium dark. Not sure how that would be possible. Could you melt the titanium and than mix some colour into it?

Huh? Apple did sell a „space black“ Titanium Watch from Series 5-7.

EmotionalSnow

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
Linz, Austria
The problem with Apple ever releasing an Ultra in that color is that existing bands just won't match, since the adapters are in the natural titanium color. And they'd have offer a second variant of their Ultra bands ...

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
The Ultra is meant to be used for extreme sports though, so the coating being damaged by scratches is just a non-starter.

I’d love to see the market research on how this watch is actually used. My very unscientific guess is that the number of people who use this with any sort of regularity for some of the prescribed “extreme” reasons (scuba diving, rock climbing, etc) is low.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
As much as I like dark finishes on products I have to say not even that would convince me to get an Ultra. The design itself is ugly as hell. I prefer how small and sleek the normal Watch design is…but yeah some people see these products as fashion symbols and are desperate to let people know they have the best but lol I cringe when I see people wearing that thing.

Hopefully Apple scrap it and come out with a new design when we get the Watch X. I’d happily buy a premium model if it didn’t look so bad.

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
As much as I like dark finishes on products I have to say not even that would convince me to get an Ultra. The design itself is ugly as hell.

Hopefully Apple scrap it and come out with a new design when we get the Watch X. I’d happily buy a premium model if it didn’t look so bad.
It's designed the way it is to be more rugged, which it is. And more useful for those who need the features, which it is.

I wouldn't say it's ugly at all, but that's always going to be down to personal taste; it still manages to look classy and timeless and has become almost iconic in design in a very short space of time. The Ultra isn't going anywhere for a long time.

Apple offered premium regular models, but they didn't offer enough difference for people to buy them over the regular models with just a change in materials used. Did you buy one of them out of interest?

iEimis97

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2020
Don’t think it’s an issue to be honest, my black titanium case S7 is still looking great after 2 years and had no shortage of bumps, nicks and even drops.

bLackjackj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Thats just a mockup, I can tell by the edges of the Watch. It's pretty clear that Apple is looking to release an Apple Watch Ultra X in black..but you didn't hear the from me.

MrJM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
As much as I like dark finishes on products I have to say not even that would convince me to get an Ultra. The design itself is ugly as hell. I prefer how small and sleek the normal Watch design is…but yeah some people see these products as fashion symbols and are desperate to let people know they have the best but lol I cringe when I see people wearing that thing.

What a hilarious take. The ultra is a great bit of kit. People like big chunky watches. The battery life is also a lot better.

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
The way I see it is the fact that Titanium only saves weight. For that matter Aluminium is also a perfect material for a watch body. Contrary to what most people believe, Titanium scratches very easily. When they say Titanium is as strong as steel yet as light as Aluminium, they refer to the tensile strength, not the hardness, and tensile strength for a watch body design is not all that significant.

Now, as for the black color, there are ways to achieve that. Anodizing is one way, which can be applied to Titanium as well as Aluminium. However, Anodized surfaces can still be scratched. A better alternative is DLC (Diamond Like Coating) which significantly improves the surface hardness and resists scratches better than Anodizing.

The question is; if we are going to cover the underlying material with DLC, why bother with Titanium? Just use Aluminium and apply DLC to achieve the desired color and the surface protection. But “Titanium“ sounds better from a marketing point of view, hence the reason behind using it not just for the Ultra but for the iPhone as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.