Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
So i remember reading a while back that the type of wallpaper that is used on the iPhone can impact the battery life either for the better or worse depending on if the wallpaper has a lot of black pixels or the opposite such as many whites pixels that way the screen needs to light up more parts of the screen etc and I wanted to ask if there's any truth to that, I can't find the link to the discussion I read that time

And just for the record, the wallpaper is a still wallpaper, not dynamic.

So does do the color composition of the wallpaper that we use can affect battry life? Are darker wallpaper better to use less battery life or perhaps it's the opposite and light wallpapers with many whites use less battery life, Can anyone clear this subject up?

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
So i remember reading a while back that the type of wallpaper that is used on the iPhone can impact the battery life either for the better or worse depending on if the wallpaper has a lot of black pixels or the opposite such as many whites pixels that way the screen needs to light up more parts of the screen etc and I wanted to ask if there's any truth to that, I can't find the link to the discussion I read that time

And just for the record, the wallpaper is a still wallpaper, not dynamic.

So does do the color composition of the wallpaper that we use can affect battry life? Are darker wallpaper better to use less battery life or perhaps it's the opposite and light wallpapers with many whites use less battery life, Can anyone clear this subject up?
Dark is better. A static image is optimum.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Does not matter for LCDs, only matters for OLED screens.
As far as battery life goes that is basically what matters. In the case of iPhones and iPads (so far) LCD is used so lighter vs darker colors don't really affect battery usage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.