Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkloki

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Orange County California
So the new OS came out and I've been playing around with it but I figure it's just designed for at night time mode or something like that right? Using it during the day is probably going to kill my battery because to see anything when it's that dark you need to have your contrast way up, any form of light or natural light makes it quite difficult to see anything during the day.

Or my eyes are in fact that bad... Anyways, is there a way we can set this up through time and configure it so that at specific times it will go into dark mode? Similar to "Night Shift"

Wingzfan61

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
So the new OS came out and I've been playing around with it but I figure it's just designed for at night time mode or something like that right? Using it during the day is probably going to kill my battery because to see anything when it's that dark you need to have your contrast way up, any form of light or natural light makes it quite difficult to see anything during the day.

Or my eyes are in fact that bad... Anyways, is there a way we can set this up through time and configure it so that at specific times it will go into dark mode? Similar to "Night Shift"

I use Dark Mode 100% of the time. I don't really notice any change in my brightness by doing so.

To schedule Dark and Light Mode you will need a 3rd party app. Here ya go. https://nightowl.kramser.xyz

Elmo1938

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2014
NYC
[doublepost=1537989777][/doublepost]Ive gone over to the dark side

I've been switching back and forth between day and night. finally decided to stay dark. a better decision as many apps seem to be releasing updates to accommodate the dark side

goslowjoe

Suspended
Dec 22, 2017
For me Dark Mode has so far meant less eye strain and it would be great to see it used in MS Office in future. Komodo editor and Pixelmator have used Dark Mode (or something similar) for a long time. Using MS Word and Excel intensively on a 27" iMac, mostly with a white background, means a lot of white light coming off the screen and I need regular breaks to give my eyes a rest.

Dark Mode is awesome and it looks incredibly polished. I love the contrast in colours in Calendar, Photos and iTunes, even something simple like System Preferences. Others may disagree, maybe because they use their Macs differently, but the Mojave release has behaved absolutely superbly on the five devices I have. I tried switching back to Light Mode for about one minute and immediately reverted.

Of course, since websites are not all designed to use Dark Mode it looks a bit odd when you enter a password and the dropdown menu appears dark against the white background of the website but that's no fault of Mojave.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.