Darn Mackeeper - Full Restore Now ??

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by SevengerNC, Aug 19, 2014.

1. SevengerNC macrumors regular

SevengerNC

I have a fairly new Macbook Air (moved from Windows). In the last couple of days I did something stupid going to a bit torrent site from a YouTube page trying to download a program for free. I know, I know - nothing is free.
    When I went to that site I then clicked on something that automaticlly DL'd DPlayer Installer. I never did get the free program. But now I have Mackeeper popping up (full screen) at various times, plus other similar sites, when I do a google search and other smaller popup ad boxes too.
    I trashed Dplayer, got Easy Find to get rid of remnant files & Mackeeper, but stuff is still popping up.
    I don't know what to do except do a full restore. I saw the the directions - looks fairly simple. I can back up the little bit of data I have, and then wipe it.
    I have not set up Time Machine. Is there a way to restore the Mac to just a few days ago like Windows, or is it all or nothing?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:
    Also, it's highly advisable to never torrent apps, as that's a great way to introduce malware to your Mac. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 12 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
    Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

3. SevengerNC thread starter macrumors regular

SevengerNC

4. cdrhoek macrumors newbie

Maybe this can help

http://applehelpwriter.com/2011/09/21/how-to-uninstall-mackeeper-malware/

There is nothing built into the Mac like the restore feature in windows other than a Time Machine backup.

When you ran the installer, did you have to turn off the OSX security settings? Did you have to type in your password?

If so, You might also consider checking for Trojans and other malware on your computer. There are some anti-malware solutions out there that I'm sure someone can recommend.

5. SevengerNC thread starter macrumors regular

SevengerNC

I don't recall disabling any security settings although I did have to log in my password. I guess that was really bad. Sounding more & more like a full restore.

6. firedept, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014

firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Sounds like adware that was installed with the download. Here is a link to a tool that can remove it so you may not have to do a re-install of your OS.

7. SevengerNC thread starter macrumors regular

SevengerNC

By George, I think it worked. Ran the adware remover and have not seen those popups since.

THANKS to everyone.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Adware can be very nasty. My poor older brother, who know little about computers, brought his laptop to me for help. You could not use it for only a second and the ads would start crawling across the screen. He had stepped into these adware programs several times as they were actually competing with each other.