Dartmoor in December?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by AxisOfBeagles, Oct 1, 2012.

1. AxisOfBeagles macrumors 6502

AxisOfBeagles

Question(s) for the many great UK photographers who visit this forum ...

Will be back in London to meet family over Christmas but have lots of time the week before to come early and go wherever. Am considering heading down to any of the many gorgeous villages in and around the Dartmoor (suggestions welcome as to which).

Given the mid-December weather and all ... good idea or bad? Better suggestions? Tips / suggestions on photography in the villages and moors that time of year?

2. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

UK weather has been poor this year... breaking all records for rainfall... and regular floods. The weather in December? Expect the unexpected... and pack an umbrella...

3. AxisOfBeagles thread starter macrumors 6502

AxisOfBeagles

and my gumboots.

Was hoping to hear from you Doylem - any places or tactics come to mind in that part of the country?

4. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

Not my patch, I'm afraid. But the weather forecast, from now until doomsday, seems to be "changeable"... so if you're not lucky one day, you may be the next. Summer 2012 will be remembered as "bad" by most people, but between the showers the light can be stunning...

5. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

Bring warm clothing. Base layers are a must, and warm socks and boots.

And gloves - I have a pair of fingerless ones (well, they have 2/3 of the fingers) that are great for photography.

The weather over here has been pitiful this year, and it won't get much better in December. Expect wind, rain, and maybe snow (especially on the higher ground).

You'll need to be up early to catch the best light, but there are plenty of locations around Dartmoor (the area is a national park) that will yield good results.

Here's the best website to get you started:

http://www.dartmoor-npa.gov.uk/

That's the National Park itself - it's a good place to start!

Also, if you want some examples, just Google "Dartmoor photography", which will turn up dozens of websites from Pro and Amateur photographers who've been there and got the shots...

6. oblomow macrumors 68020

oblomow

Dartmoor in winter time can be stunning. Fog, snow,great light. And if it's bad, be sure to visit the local pubs. Princetown is nice. Or Warren House.

We did a winter hiking trip some years ago. If the weather is bad, it's really bad, but the scenery and light can be stunning.

7. AxisOfBeagles thread starter macrumors 6502

AxisOfBeagles

thanks oblomow - that Princetown pub looks ideal!

The trip is not confirmed - family dependencies and all - but if we do go I really would like to head down there and do some hiking and photography. As for the weather - we're well used to severe winter weather and well prepared for it, on both sides of the pond.