Darwiin Remote (Wii Remote app)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by VaatiKaiba, Oct 30, 2008.

1. VaatiKaiba macrumors 6502

I was just wondering - has anyone used this, and can vouch that it is safe? The last thing I'd like to happen to my laptop is for it to die, so I just wanted to check...

Also, is SourceForge an ok place to download it from? By SourceForge, I mean this link.

Thanks!

2. VaatiKaiba thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone? It'd be really cool to have, but I'm just afraid that as it's a Mac-specific app it might hold a Mac virus or something... Am I being stupid?

3. yoppie macrumors 6502a

It's safe. I used it a couple of times to play some old Nintendo games on my MacBook. A friend of mine uses it to play Frets on Fire on his.

4. longdogs macrumors regular

Works fine, just a bit fiddly. I used it for a while to control frontrow, but I now use DVDmote on my phone instead.

5. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Stupid not really, there are no Mac Virii (Virii by definition can self replicate [without having to type in the admin password constantly] itself which it can't do in the OS X environment) Trojan's etc, yah, those exist (heck I'll write one for yah if you'd like) but your not being stupid, just cautious which is good.

But to calm your nerves, Darwiin Remote has been around for a long time and has been used for just as long (google will pop up several hundred hits with darwiin remote in it showing the usage and even youtube videos).

I have used it. Sourceforge (granted everyone can put up fake stuff) is about as reliable as a site claiming to be the real developers site. That being said, it's relatively safe. Knowing and have used Darwiin remote that looks like the real deal, their old blog site hasn't been updated in a while and if it has, I can't read the text.

6. VaatiKaiba thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the piece of mind, everyone! The stuff about virii was interesting as well. I really appreciate it!

7. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Does Darwiin Remote work anymore? I'm on El Capitan Beta 2 and have the latest copy of Darwiin Remote I could find (appears to be from sometime between 2008 and 2011)... I'm able to successfully pair the remote, but it doesn't seem to actually receive any button presses or react to motion or anything.

Is it working on Mavericks or Yosemite for anyone? I wanted to set it up for Super Meat Boy but it seems I'll have to just stick with keyboard controls...