Darwin Award Candidate


pukifloyd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
985
83
Scottsdale
ouch:(

pretty sad...imagine the shock the mother went through when she saw his blown up face:eek:

i feel sick even thinking about it! RIP Vladimir!
 

philbeeney

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2004
491
36
Brampton, ON
Meh....I was going to replace 'peace' with 'pieces', but this was a somewhat sad story. He died due to a mistake, not necessarily his own stupidity.
I think dipping chewing gum in citric acid sounds pretty stupid. Could've been lemon juice which wouldn't be too bad, I suppose.
 

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
4,911
586
Dallas, Texas
I was so shocked at reading this that my jaw hit the.... Okay that was bad, I mean, in poor taste... ooh, it's getting worse. OK, seriously, thig guy needed this to happen about as much as he needed a hole in his.... Wow, I can't seem to make it stop.
 

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
2,032
49
Up, up in my studio, studio
I was so shocked at reading this that my jaw hit the.... Okay that was bad, I mean, in poor taste... ooh, it's getting worse. OK, seriously, thig guy needed this to happen about as much as he needed a hole in his.... Wow, I can't seem to make it stop.
You do realize you're not on Fark.com, don't you? LOL
 

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
4,911
586
Dallas, Texas
You do realize you're not on Fark.com, don't you? LOL
What is Fark.com? I'm at work and from the sounds of the name I shouldn't just jaunt over there.

Based on the OP's mention of this being worthy of a Darwin award I assumed humor would be permissable. If you would prefer I quit my jabber-jawing, drat, there I go again. :D
 

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
4,325
379
Boston, MA
something is wrong here. i can't believe he accidentally laced his gum with enough explosive to kill himself. either suicide or murder or totally made up.

btw: my mom always told me chewing gum can pull out you fillings. didn't know she meant it that way.....
 

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
4,911
586
Dallas, Texas
something is wrong here. i can't believe he accidentally laced his gum with enough explosive to kill himself. either suicide or murder....
Don't let it get you down, these kinds of things happen for no real reason. Try to stay positive, hang in there, and keep your chin up!



:D I could hardly type that one out I was snickering so much to myself... :D
 

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
17,539
8,164
Colorado
Don't let it get you down, these kinds of things happen for no real reason. Try to stay positive, hang in there, and keep your chin up!



:D I could hardly type that one out I was snickering so much to myself... :D
Thank you ladies & gentlemen, he will be here all week. Don't forget to tip your hard working waitresses.:D
 

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
3,023
6
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
What is Fark.com? I'm at work and from the sounds of the name I shouldn't just jaunt over there.

Based on the OP's mention of this being worthy of a Darwin award I assumed humor would be permissable. If you would prefer I quit my jabber-jawing, drat, there I go again. :D
Fark is a news aggregator site. Members can submit suggestions, and the approved submissions show up on the site under one of several categories such as sports, business, etc. The catch is they get submitted with a brief, catchy, headline and a tag describing the story. Tags include stupid, FAIL, amusing, sappy, and even one for Chirstopher Walken. :) Some of the headlines are pretty funny.

It's one of my primary news sources, even though it's "not news". Their motto is "It's not news, it's Fark.com".
 

2jaded2care

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2003
336
0
Atlanta
Apparently he didn't realize that exploding gum is only useful for blowing up helicopters whilst simultaneously hurling you to safety on the back of a speeding chunnel train... I do that at least once a month...
 

NeuralControl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2009
917
30
This is terribly sad. My condolences to his family. However, something does not seem "right" with the story. He was not new to chemistry. He knew which chemicals to use to get the taste he enjoyed from his gum. He was at his home computer at the time of his death. How did he have access to the chemicals in his home? Sure, I can understand how he got citric acid, but how did he get access to the other chemical that caused his death. If he took it from the university, it should not be terribly difficult to narrow down what compound caused the explosion. I don't want to jump to any conclusions, but a suicide or murder should not be ruled out just yet.
 

erickkoch

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2003
676
0
Kalifornia
I can see how this can happen. Something similar happened to one of the chemistry professors at my university. He lost a hand in an explosion. Apparently, someone left a beaker under a ventilation hood, the chemicals in it had dried out to a solid. He picked it up and it exploded.

I recall some students discussing "recipes" for contact explosives. Dried chemical compounds can be very unstable and explode on contact. They claimed to make crystals and spread them on the ground, when you walk on them they "pop" and make snapping noises as they explode. They meant it as a joke but you can see that it's potentially very dangerous to play with such things.
 

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
2,325
1
you guys are a little late on this one.


and darwin awards are for killing yourself by being stupid.

technically he was very smart, but everyone makes mistakes