Darwin binaries?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Corbin052198, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Corbin052198 macrumors 6502

Corbin052198

Wikipedia, on their page about Darwin (the operating system at the core of Mac OS X), says:
    I was wondering if anyone knew where Apple (on their website) is keeping the binaries. :confused:

I've already tried Google and all I can find is binaries of 6.x and 7.x on VersionTracker :mad:.

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

jW

3. Corbin052198 thread starter macrumors 6502

Corbin052198

OK, thanks!

But one more question, are they pre-built binaries (as in Install CDs or Live CDs) or is it just source code?

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

5. larkost macrumors 6502a

As is stated in the original post, it is now only source code, and it is not complete. You can no longer build a working Darwin OS that corresponds to the latest MacOS X. My feeling is that Apple discontinued this due to lack of interest.

The sections they do put up are things that it might be useful for some people to have access to the source code in order to validate security, or interoperability.

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

7. Corbin052198 thread starter macrumors 6502

Corbin052198

Conclusion

I could not find the source or the binaries of Darwin at Apple's developer site (even when I was logged in as a developer), but maybe it's just me. :D

Anyway, I have posted a way to get Darwin binaries (PPC+x86), so whoever has this same issue can find them easily. After looking at many a broken link, I finally found this SourceForge project called the Darwin Source Repository, which was set up as a mirror for Apple's files, but already compiled.

1. Go to the Darwin Source Repository at http://sourceforge.net/projects/darwinsource/
    2. Click on the downloads tab or just go to http://sourceforge.net/projects/darwinsource/files/
    3. Click which binary of Darwin you want. There are 2: darwinx86-801.iso.gz (For Intel Macs and some PC hardware) and darwinppc-801.cdr.gz (For PowerPC Macs).

After that, you should be downloading the file. Then use Disk Utility to burn the image to a CD, and you're done. Just boot from the CD by holding down d (or c for PPC Macs). Hope this helped for anyone having the same issue. :)

8. larkost macrumors 6502a

The "darwin" code is at: http://opensource.apple.com/. As I said before this no longer includes enough material to make a bootable system. The repository you have found is essentially a mirror of the OpenDarwin project, which was a slightly modified mirror of the Darwin project that Apple had. When Apple stopped providing nice bootable images OpenDarwin tried to step into the void, but quickly died due to lack of interest. This is not really useable for anything "modern".

9. Corbin052198 thread starter macrumors 6502

Corbin052198

I got around to making a CD of Darwin 8.0.1 (x86 version) .iso of the disk image found at the website, but I'm having a little problem.

I booted up the CD on a late-2009 model MacBook Pro. When it started up it showed a little ROM image and a progress bar (which I guess was checking for a Macintosh ROM), and then procedded to ask me for a launguage.

I choose English, and then the "Apple Hardware Test" window opened. I clicked the Test button, and 2 minutes later, it said it was done. It would not open the Darwin installer, and the only 2 options it gave me were "Shut Down" and "Restart".

Any idea how I can proceed? :confused: Am I missing some kind of button or key?

P.S. If it helps, I'm running Darwin 8.0.1 x86 on a (as stated above) late-2009 model MacBook Pro.

10. larkost macrumors 6502a

The bit you are missing is support for your hardware. That hardware is going to require at least Leopard, and that is version 9 of Darwin. Like I have been hinting at: there is no useable modern version of Darwin available.

11. Corbin052198 thread starter macrumors 6502

Corbin052198

So if I downloaded, say, the PPC Darwin, and ran it on a computer like my iBook G3, it would work?

12. larkost macrumors 6502a

Probably, but what are you trying to get out of this? And "trying to run Darwin" is not an answer to that question.