Darwine 1.1.7 + Notepad++ on Leopard = Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Matus Kalisky, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Matus Kalisky macrumors newbie

Hello,

this is my first post here so please be gentle if I wrongly placed this question.
    As I am a brand new Mac user (unpacked my MacBook just a few hours ago) I may post silly questions.

So - as I would like to use the Notepad++ on my new Mac, I found out (after a lot og Googling) that I need and Mac version of the Wine - the Darwine to be able to run it. So I got the 1.1.7 version of the Darwin form HERE After the installation I have the Darwine folder inside the Applications and it contains:
    - Sample WineLib Applications
    - Wine.Bundle
    - WineHelper

Afterwards I got the Notepad++ from HERE. I downloaded the executable file (npp.5.1.3.Installer.exe)

Now - my understand it about how to run the Notepad++ correctly is following:
    1) Run the Wine.Bundle
    2) Click "Choose the application"
    3) Do so

- But just I can not choose the "npp.5.1.3.Installer.exe".

- If I just run the npp.5.1.3.Installer.exe direcly via clickung on it - it crashes

- If I try to run the WineHelper - it also crashes ....

What did I di wrong? Any help will be strongly appreciated.

thanks

2. bay2sacto macrumors member

Just curious, why the need to run Notepad ++ on your Mac? There are plenty comparable text editors out there.

3. QueenZ macrumors 6502

QueenZ

I also wanted to run Notepad++ on my Mac as it's probably the best HTML PHP Java Javascript Pascal etc code editor ever but as i don't have intel based mac i guess i can't even run Darwine (can i?).

And so i used Coda (It's almost as good and it's native OS X app). So I would suggest you use Coda. It's really really good!

http://www.panic.com/coda/

4. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

I am also looking for a good editor with Syntax highlighting for perl/php/c/xcode. Do you know if coda does this? Also how about BBEdit?

5. Matus Kalisky thread starter macrumors newbie

That's exactly why I want to get it running. But I am just not sure whether I am doing it properly.

I will have a look at the coda.

6. QueenZ macrumors 6502

QueenZ

Yes pyrodex Coda can do all that. and i truly recommend it. It's really like a Notepad++ alternative on Mac :) Enjoy!