Darwine vs Crossover

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by higgalls, Apr 19, 2008.

1. higgalls macrumors regular

Hey,

Can anyone tell me what the differences are between Darwine and Crossover?
    I know they are both built upon Wine, and Darwine is opensource, whereas you need to pay for Crossover, but what one is really better?

What sorts of things do Crossover add to their software that allow you to play more games, considering it still runs off Wine?

I see that Wine is at version 0.9.60, whereas Darwine is only at 0.9.59. Is it possible to update it yourself to .60 version, or do we need to wait for Darwine to get to .60 version?

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Cheers,
    Chris

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I'd use Darwine myself. Mainly because it is free although it will be slightly behind the main version of Wine. You have no idea what version of Wine crossover is built on.

3. higgalls thread starter macrumors regular

Can you play any of the Steam games using Darwine (such as Half-Life and Team Fortress etc)?

And the Crossover website says it uses the latest version of wine (doesn't state the version number though).

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Dunno, read the Wine website. I believe it has a section which states what version of Wine is required and how well something works with that version. But I think it does from what I have heard.

Well it is easy to say something :).

5. higgalls thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah thats exactly what I thought. So I don't know how much faith to put on it being the 'latest' version.

So why use Darwine over Parallels or Fusion? and does Darwine support sound? (I read somewhere it doesn't yet).

And what could be added to Wine (in the case of Crossover) to make more games work? I would have thought it would require rewriting some parts of Wine, but if they intend on staying with the latest version of Wine, the rewrites would need to be redone each time there is an update.

Cheers,
    Chris