Dashboard - "Client not responding" - Help ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Terwal, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Terwal macrumors regular

Hi,

Here is a question I asked in a different thread, but this is probably a better place to put it forward.

I use a MBA, and on a regular basis, after using for a while, my CPU goes to more than 50% and the fan maxes out at 6200pm (using only Safari + Word for example).

I realized, looking at the Monitor Activity, that I have a "Dashboard Client (Not Responding)" process that takes 90% of the CPU with an RSIZE (?) of 944MB. That doesn't sound right.

Now... if I force quitting such process: CPU goes down to 4% to 8% and after 30 seconds or so, the fan starts reducing down very slowly from 6200 back to 2500.

Once I have killed the faulty process, all of my widgets are still working (or so they seem).

Widgets I am using:
    - iStat
    - Google
    - Wifi locator (can't remember exact name)
    - Fidelity stock tracker
    - Digital clock

What is the pb with the Dashboard Client ?

What do I need to do to fix it ?

Thanks,

W.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I strongly suspect that one of your widgets doesn't get along with Dashboard in Leopard, and is causing the freezing.

First thing to do is look for updates for your third-party widgets.
    If updates don't solve the problem, or there aren't any, disable widgets until you find the offending widget.

3. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

It happened to me the other day. It was causing my processor to run at near-full.

I restarted my computer, deleted my new widgets, and it was fine.

4. Terwal thread starter macrumors regular

Will try that... how do you delete (as opposed to just close) the widgets you have added to dashboard ?

Thanks...

5. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

Click on "manage widgets" and delete them from the menu