Dashboard Icon Gone

Discussion in 'macOS' started by R H, Aug 27, 2013.

1. R H macrumors newbie

So, long ago, I successfully changed my Finder icon manually and then got it in my head more recently I should do the same for my Dashboard icon.

That was apparently a mistake. I had changed everything I thought I needed to but it was still the same old icon. Today I deleted my dock preferences .plist thing (who knows why) and then restored it. After logging back in again everything was exactly how I liked it but my Dashboard icon is gone and I can't figure out what to do. I tried replacing all the icons with the saved originals, I tried using CandyBar but it's still missing.

To clarify, just the icon is gone. There is a gap on my dock that I can click and it will take me to my dashboard. Only, in-between my Finder icon and my Skype icon there is a space large enough for an icon but nothing to fill it.

I've googled my heart out and I got nothing. Help?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Download a free app from the Mac App store and it will re-appear.

3. R H thread starter macrumors newbie

And here I was so proud of myself for providing all of the info I needed so far past my bedtime.

I'm running Snow Leopard (1.6.8). If Apple offers a free dashboard app in their App Store for me, I'm not seeing it.

4. simsaladimbamba

If you right click on the Dock where the Dashboard icon is not visible, can you chose to remove it from the Dock or can you drag it off the Dock?
    If so, do so.
    Then go to your Applications folder in Finder (CMD+SHIFT+A) and drag the Dashboard application onto the Dock.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

NO, I meant download any free app...during the install procedure ( why not try CLAM AV as you can remove it afterwards) the icon should come back.

6. R H thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried removing it and re-dragging it into the dock a few times. And I just downloaded a few apps from the app store and that didn't seem to help either. I'm not 100% sure I'm being clear, so here's what it looks like

[​IMG]

Obviously the part that says "Dashboard" only shows up when my cursor hovers, but I left it in the screen grab for clarity's sake.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Any help here?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2255865?start=0&tstart=0

8. R H thread starter macrumors newbie

No, it sounds like that person removed Dashboard from the dock and was unable to locate it again in the Applications folder. My problem is purely aesthetic. Dashboard is still everywhere it should be, it's just that the shortcut in the dock is not the default one or the one I attempted to replace it with, it is an icon sized gap.

9. Bruno09, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013

Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Hi,

you could check if the right icons are in the right place :

Macintosh HD/System/Library/CoreServices/Dock

Right click on "Dock", "show package content".

Contents/Resources

You should find there : dashboard.png, and dashboard@2x.png

Do you ?

10. R H thread starter macrumors newbie

The @2.png was missing and also, the dashboard.png was Dashboard.png. After adding @2 and making the D lowercase, the icon has returned.

Thank you so much!

11. Bruno09, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013

Bruno09 macrumors 68020

You're welcome !

You should have :

dashboard.png 18 Ko, 128 x 128 px

and :

dashboard@2x.png 52 Ko, 256 x 256 px (for Retina display).

EDIT : sorry I forgot the "x" following @2
    Now added.

12. R H thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, tragically my MBP isn't new enough to have retina display anyway so it looks like it was a case of case. Regardless, it was your post that made me even check to see, so thank you again!