Dashboard in Catalina?

Discussion in 'macOS Catalina (10.15)' started by Brad9893, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Brad9893 macrumors 6502

Brad9893

I ask this every year, and as it turns out, this one won't be an exception! Has Dashboard finally been axed in Catalina? If it still exists, I would imagine that it will take a bit of a hit, since certain Widgets run in 32-bit Dashboard processes, but I would think that at least the first-party ones could still function.

I've found that I have barely used Dashboard during the past year. It's definitely time for me to let go on this one (thankfully)!

2. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

3. fisherking macrumors 604

fisherking

4. WhackyNinja macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

It is gone. The dashboard icon had a "?" before it disappeared.

RIP Dashboard

Press F to pay respects

5. Brad9893 thread starter macrumors 6502

Brad9893

Thanks guys!

I guess it was finally time for this to happen. Apple is ripping out a lot of the past with Catalina, and a feature that has been unmaintained for years was clearly a prime target. It clearly had a good run.

6. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

I can't believe they'd rip Dashboard from our hands. The last link to Mac OS X Tiger is tossed aside irrelevantly.

7. TimothyR734 macrumors 65816

TimothyR734

sad day for sure next will be quicktime to be tossed away like garbage

8. retta283 macrumors 6502a

retta283

The last vestige of the classic Mac OS X Aqua design language has been destroyed. Sad day, I still use Dashboard on occasion. Hopefully the widgets for weather and stocks will keep running into the 2020s.

9. fisherking macrumors 604

fisherking

quicktime 7 is great, but really old. and, at least in my humble experience (16 years of apple support in nyc), almost none of my clients used the dashboard.

either way... apple moves us 'forward', like it or not. and we can adapt, or keep our old OSes and hardware... or come to this forum, and whine endlessly... :D

10. retta283 macrumors 6502a

retta283

I am saddened by the loss of both Dashboard and QuickTime 7, as I did still use both on occasion. But I understand why they are gone, Apple has no real reason to continue to support them, and didn't want to put the effort into a rewrite. Legacy pieces of software, while sometimes better cannot remain supported forever.

11. weup togo macrumors 6502

I use Dashboard 20 times a day. It's not a Mac without it.

12. fisherking macrumors 604

fisherking

some features of QT7 seem to be there in the new QT; will be interesting to see how far that goes. otherwise, i'll miss QT7... but not that much, really.

13. TheSkywalker77 macrumors 6502a

TheSkywalker77

14. Fried Chicken macrumors 6502

Fried Chicken

Whelp.... I'm sticking with High Sierra.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 3, 2019 ---
    I use the dashboard all the time.

Weather, Stocks, Calculator, Dictionary. It's SUPER useful.

15. Project Alice macrumors 6502a

Project Alice

There are two things I ALWAYS do after installing Mac OS.
    1: disable natural scrolling
    2: Enable the dashboard as an overlay, put it in the dock where it belongs and set up the bottom left hot corner for it. If this is removed, Mac OS X is officially dead and now we have nothing. The EOL of Windows 7 makes this even worse for me.

16. adrianlondon macrumors 65816

adrianlondon

I might be remembering wrong, but I think the dashboard was missing in the first Mojave beta too. Anyway, I've logged a Feedback request asking for it back :)

17. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Unfortunately I doubt Apple are going to rewrite the widgets to be 64-bit. I think its time has finally come.

I loved Dashboard, but have been weaning myself off it over the past year as it was always likely the 32-bit purge was going to kill it. Notification Center is an okay-ish replacement. Not as convenient as an overlay, but most of the widgets I used are there.

(As an added bonus, I’m the co-developer of Tile Game Classic which brings the Tile Game widget to NC... Feel free to give it a go :p)

18. fivenotrump macrumors 6502

irreverently?

19. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

I think this may actually be a deal breaker for me. I use it a lot every day on all my Macs.

20. playtech1 macrumors member

I will sorely miss Dashboard - I would have perhaps 6 sticky notes, three converters and weather on it and would flick to it frequently. I have felt that the retirement of 32 bit apps would make Mojave the OS I stick with for a while and this is definitely another nudge down that path.

21. MIKX macrumors 6502a

MIKX

So Apple can't convert Dashboard to 64 bit ?
    I guess they want us to buy the Apple watch.

22. Brad9893 thread starter macrumors 6502

Brad9893

If I look in Activity Monitor, Dashboard does have 64-bit processes running. I might be wrong, but I believe that Apple's first party widgets are 64-bit compatible. The only widgets (that I have) that seem to be 32-bit reliant are third-party ones like iStat Pro and Screenshot Plus – those all run in 32-bit processes. While the removal of 32-bit support would cull some widgets, I don't think that it necessarily means the death of Dashboard itself technologically.

23. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

I too remember Dashboard missing in the first Mojave DP/beta. They restored Dashboard by the second preview.

24. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

This is what I'm thinking. Mac users would be up in arms if Dashboard was sinbinned. I could imagine Cook being heckled and jeered in Cupertino. But I doubt he'd authorize it to be killed.

25. Ritsuka macrumors 6502a