Dashboard in OS X?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sk1wbw, Jun 2, 2014.

1. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but does anyone remember when OS X came out with Dashboard? I seem to recall this being on the first version or maybe the second version of OS X?

I'm just getting a kick of listening to the Android fanboy legion saying how Apple copied widgets from Android when I remember using Dashboard for years and years before the smartphone wars started.

2. deluxeshredder macrumors 6502a

10.4, in 2005.

3. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

What this fine poster said.

4. sk1wbw thread starter Suspended

sk1wbw

I forgot, I thought it was on 10.3. But still, Android had widgets first and Apple stole it! lol

5. simsaladimbamba

There was Konfabulator for Mac OS X 10.3 Panther and probably 10.2, but it was a derivative in a way of Desk Accessories anyway, though Apple introduced Dashboard in Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.

6. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

7. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

Constantly! on machines running 10.5, 10.6 and 10.9

Cheers :)

Hugh

8. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I never got Dashboard to work for me. It's like the saying, "out of sight, out of mind". I had package trackers, I had a chia pet, and I had the calendar in there. But at the end of the day, I never touched it.

And that's the problem with Android widgets. I mean, on the newer versions, you can swipe and see them on your lock screen, and then you can swipe to the camera. But then you can also UNLOCK to the camera already with the lock shortcuts. It's all over the place.

And then you can unlock, and see about six pages or whatever more of them, and most of them are really ugly - both in the way they're coded, and visually.

Of course there's some nice widgets, and you can make your own, but I just got fed up with it.

Pretty happy for the iOS ones. iOS 8 jailbreak is going to be so much fun! :D

9. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

I use Dashboard at least once a day. I have various clocks set for friends & relatives around the world, same with the weather widgets. The package tracker was a godsend but Amazon is no longer nice to this widget. Also use the conversion tool. And I have a GIF cartoon of Benedict Cumberbatch & Martin Freeman as Sherlock & Watson. :cool:

10. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

I was thinking the same thing the other day. I used to use it occasionally, many, many years ago. But it was really more of a novelty than something that I actually used for a real purpose. I would load it up with sweet looking widgets, and it sure looked cool...but I never actually "used" it.

11. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Dashboard widgets I use: RadarInMotion, Weather, Dictionary, Delivery Status, Calculator.