Dashboard increases wireless reception?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Val-kyrie, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Val-kyrie macrumors 65816

I am hoping you all can help me diagnose a problem, of sorts. I have a Linksys WRT54G to which I connect my 2.4GHz Black MB to access the internet. Sometimes when I am downloading, I notice that firefox reports my download speed dropping from 123 kb/s to 12.3 kb/s. The first time I noticed I went to double check with the iStatPro widget and when I opened dashboard my download speed climbed back up to 123 kb/s. This has happened repeatedly.

How do I find out what is causing the problem?

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

It would probably climb back up on it's own. iStatPro has a more consistent download speed readout I've noticed whereas Firefox will show all the little hiccups and drops in download speeds.

3. Val-kyrie thread starter macrumors 65816

Perhaps, except that it is constant speeds to which I refer and there is a noticeable difference in the speed of the download. If I leave the widget for iStatPro displayed, a download might finish in a minute, but if I hide it again, then the same download will take perhaps ten minutes. Something is definitely wrong, and it is more than just dips and crests.