Dashboard is a new "Desktop"

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Diamondaine, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Diamondaine macrumors newbie

Hi,

i'm already on Lion and I really like it, but there's one thing they changed which i don't like at all. Dashboard. In Snow Leopard you could press F4 and Dashboard appeared and the normal Desktop was just a bit darker and kind of in the background, but now the Dashboard is like Spotlight in iOS, it's a new "Desktop" left from the normal ones. And there's the problem.

For Example in Snow Leopard you could watch a video/movie/film and the if it was on another language or they said a currency or a distance you wanted to convert/translate you just hit the Dashboard button and do it. But now you can't see whats going on in the video while translating something or looking up that 186mph are 306kph....

I really liked that i still could watch whats going on, and now i can't, it seems like a very little Problem, but the old Dashboard made me feel like i have a really big advantage ;)

Can i somehow change this?

Diamondaine :apple:

2. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

System Prefs > Mission Control > Uncheck "Show Dashboard as a Space" :)

I'm actually surprised that Apple has given more options than I would normally expect them to. They let you switch back to the old Mail layout, turn off the "natural" reverse scrolling and, disable "auto-restore windows" and Versions.

3. Diamondaine thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem solved! Thank you very very much. Now Lion is nearly perfect for me.

Wait. There's one more thing. You have your Desktop + Safari in Full screen. If you create another Desktop now, it's right of the Fullscreen Safari.
    So you have: Desktop 1 - Safari - Desktop 2. And in Mission Control there is no way to sort them. You can't drag and drop the Desktops or click long and the drag them, like in iOS.
    In order to have: Desktop 1 - Desktop 2 - Safari Full Screen, you have to have the Safari window in Desktop 2 and then maximize it.

Is there also a solution to that?

And yes, your right. They let you change a bit more than normal :cool:

4. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

I think I know what you mean. In the Mission Control preferences, uncheck "Automatically rearrange spaces based on most recent use." Then if you have

Desktop 1 - Safari

and add a space, it will put it after Desktop 1, so it'll be

Desktop 1 - Desktop 2 - Safari

and if you add another desktop, it will go after Desktop 2, etc.

5. Diamondaine thread starter macrumors newbie

And again, you're right.

Now its always desktop after desktop and then the fullscreen apps.

Thank you very much.

So nearly everything checked in Mission Control is wrong for me :D

6. haravikk macrumors 65816

I wonder if Apple has any way of seeing the usage of these options, perhaps via iCloud syncing of settings? It seems like it might be a useful metric for them to have, as if they find that enough people are changing dashboard back to how it was before, then they might use that for future updates? Same with Mail if the new interface proves unpopular (though I personally think it's a lot better, just takes a bit of getting used to).

Has anyone figured out if we can rename Spaces/Desktops yet?