Dashboard on iMac Stopped Working

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Stevee00, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Stevee00 macrumors newbie

Stevee00

Hello,

I have a new iMac 24". Had it for about a month. (I'm a switcher, and glad I did.)

Problem: the dashboard apps stopped connecting to the Internet. I press dashboard and they're all there, but they haven't been updated since the 9th (I know because that's what the calendar says). The clock is the only thing that works. The calculator doesn't even work.

I do have a bunch of apps, but nothing weird. I have gmail, news, weather, weather radar, and a couple other things. All are blank, except for the default logos. They all worked fine for a week or so since I installed them.

I haven't done anything weird with my iMac either--no major upgrades or anything.

Broadband connection to the Internet works fine in all other programs (like tis one). No other problems with the iMac.

I've looked around in the settings for anything about the dashboard, but can't find the controls that might turn these things on or off.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Steve

2. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

The only thing I can think of, and you've more than likely already done it, is a restart. Maybe repair permissions, too.

3. Stevee00 thread starter macrumors newbie

Stevee00

Yes, I've done a few restarts--if you mean totally shut down the computer, and then turn it on again. Or is there a deeper restart?

What are repair permissions?

4. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Restart is fine. In Applications > Utilities > open Disk Utility. Click on your hard drive and then click "Repair permissions". Wait . . . until it finishes . . . and ignore whatever it says about the permissions it says it fixed. Quit Disk Utility and restart. Open Dashboard and see if it now works.

5. Stevee00 thread starter macrumors newbie

Stevee00

Ok, I think I have another problem. I went to Applications | Utilities and I don't see any disk utilities. In fact I don't see any Apple utilities in there. Earlier I was looking for Grab, which isn't anywehere to be Spotlighted.

Where did my utilities go? How can I restore them? I haven't done anything that I know of to move or hide them. But who knows. I'm new to this and might have done something stupid by mistake.

Ideas? Help?

Steve

6. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

The Utilities folder inside the Applications folder is empty?

7. Stevee00 thread starter macrumors newbie

Stevee00

Yes, it is. Except for some utilties put there by Logic Studio and Adobe Photoshop.

How do I restore the Mac utilities?

Steve

8. iwuzbord macrumors 6502

iwuzbord

woah thats really weird. um, the only way i can think of getting the folder back is by reinstalling osx. or parts of it at least. its on the 1st install disk that came with your mac.

9. Stevee00 thread starter macrumors newbie

Stevee00

Will that wipe out all my other settings and upgrades? Or is Apple smarter than Windows?

10. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

First, check the second install disk and see if the Apps are there. If that's so, just reinstall from that. If they aren't there, see if you can do a custom install from disk 1. You should be able to pick and choose from that menu.

11. Stevee00 thread starter macrumors newbie

Stevee00

12. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

Yep, Apple is Smarter than Windows when it comes to upgrading, it's a legit upgrade. OS X keeps the OS completely separate from your data and documents and such, that will all go untouched.