dashboard only works on Admin account?

ero87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
hey friends,

Well, the title says it all. When I try to use Dashboard on non-admin accounts (via F12, the dock icon, or middle MM button), the dock simply disappears and reappears. Also, the dashboard "plus" symbol appears in the corner for a second. It's clearly some kinda weird glitch... any ideas for solutions?

Thanks!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Have you tried creating a brand-new user (non-admin) account to see if the problems occurs there?

ero87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
mkrishnan said:
You might try dragging com.apple.dashboard.plist and com.apple.dashboard.client.plist to the trash and then restarting the dock....
funny you say that... those files don't exist on the guest accounts! They only appear in spotlight on my Admin account.

hmm...

EDIT: and yes, I tried creating a new account, same problem. It seems that it's creating new accounts without those important files. weird, right?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
What happens if you try to run Dashboard from the applications folder? Any error messages?

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
Was dashboard working for your non-admins before, or has it always been like this (I'm assuming that the computer in question is your G5)?

ero87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
nbs2 said:
Was dashboard working for your non-admins before, or has it always been like this (I'm assuming that the computer in question is your G5)?

Yes, it's the G5. and unfortunately I don't know if they'd worked before- they're my parents' accounts, and they only use the most necessary/basic features. It was only by chance i even noticed this issue.

BTW, I tried making new accounts WITH and WITHOUT admin priviledges; NEITHER account types have functioning dashboards.