Dashboard should be removed/replaced

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by Cooee!, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Cooee! macrumors member

Cooee!

Honestly, I never found any use for the dashboard. Maybe it should be removed or replaced by the siri window in iOS 9 when maybe siri launches on mac.
    Image001.png

2. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I think that's a distinct possibility. Sort of a Google Now type implementation. Can you even access the dashboard on OS X without hot corners?

3. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

There are still some things Dashboard can do that can't be done elsewhere, like display a part of a webpage without having to go to it in the browser. For this reason I still use it sometimes, and since it can be disabled in Yosemite there's no harm in leaving it in (although I'm surprised they did so far in 10.11).

4. neutrak macrumors newbie

It has been really neglected for many years. The widgets are still the same design as way back in Tiger. They don't fit with the design language of Yosemite at all and I don't find myself ever using it anymore.

5. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

It should be turned off by default at the very least. It's ugly and dated looking, it's obviously never getting updated to why keep it?

6. Cooee! thread starter macrumors member

Cooee!

I didn't know it could be disabled. Thanks

7. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

While I agree it is negelected and could use a refreshing update, I must say I use it daily.

Of course, I could find apps to replace what I use it for, but I like that they are all contained in one location/window. Maybe a seperate space for small apps is a good replacement?

8. one|mac macrumors newbie

one|mac

Google for DashboardGmer, UnityWidgets or GameWidgets. Great Games for the Mac OS X Dashboard. Donkey Kong anyone???