Dashboard Sounds in Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by drmikey, Aug 31, 2011.

1. drmikey macrumors member

Has anyone else had "radio" like sounds start playing when Dashboard is activated after updating to Lion?

When I activate Dashboard I sometimes hear something start playing and can't figure out where it is coming from. Once I leave Dashboard it quits playing...

2. drmikey thread starter macrumors member

I guess nobody else has had this experience or may have an idea of what is causing it?

It's not a big deal, just a weird phenomena that is slightly annoying. :)

3. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

It's likely one of your dashboard widgets. Try turning them off/removing them one by one until it stops.

4. drmikey thread starter macrumors member

I'll have to give it a try. They're all the same widgets that I had before the upgrade to Lion which is the weird part. That, and it doesn't always do it.

I just thought it may be a bug others have experienced, but it doesn't seem to be. The google searches I've done don't turn up anything at least.

Thanks for the help though!

5. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

What widgets are you running? Do you have any webclips?

With webclips....if you click the little "i" in the lower right when you hover, it should have an option to "Only play audio in Dashboard". If you uncheck that on some......see the it audio keeps playing. If it does, then it's that widget.

-Kevin

6. drmikey thread starter macrumors member

Ahhh. I think that is it. I have a web clip widget of a daily Calvin and Hobbes strip. What's weird is it's never done that before and there are no audio ads when I visit the website itself. Is that checkbox a new feature of Lion? I don't remember if that checkbox was there in Snow Leopard...

Thanks!

7. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

That option was in SL as well. Weird that when you go to the full page you don't hear audio. Did you test without that web clip?

I've had issues with dashboard and web clips with google ads causing a tab to open in my browser.

-Kevin

8. drmikey thread starter macrumors member

I've deleted that web clip and haven't heard it again yet. It didn't always do it though so it may take some time before I can say for sure that that was it (it sounds like the most likely culprit though).

I have had activating dashboard throw me into Safari in a new tab also since installing Lion. It must be coincidence that none of this started until I upgraded to Lion?

Yeah, that's why web clips didn't make sense in my mind, because I have never heard an audio ad (or any other audio) come from that website...

Thanks for the help! I'll have to see if deleting that widget really eliminates that. :)

9. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Hopefully it works.

I could have sworn that I started having the issue of dashboard opening a tab in my browser in SL....but can't be sure.

I only have 1 web clip....it's a weather radar. I finally found a link to JUST the radar itself, not the full page. It was driving me nuts! Every time I opened dashboard, that webclip would open empty Doubleclick tabs in my browser.

-Kevin