Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quixotist

Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
Alright, today I noticed my Dashboard Translation Widget was messing up one me. The "translate from" language is now Japanese, and the language it says to translate to now just says "undefined" for some reason. When I click to change the "translate from" language, it lists all the options, but when I click to change the other language, it says only English, and it is checked. Also, I can't click in the textbox to type. When I click the swap languages button, both boxes switch to saying English, and I can again only change the first language. Also, I see a Systran logo on the front of the widget, and can't click to view the back of the widget. After a quick google search didn't turn up much, I got kinda annoyed. Anyone seen this or have any suggestions? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: After comparing it with a friend, it seems I see both sides of it at once or something, as next to the Translate to box, there's an "La" I presume to be part of "Language." I'm now thoroughly confused.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
This might be silly, but have you tried reloading the widget? Either clicking on it and hitting command-R (you should get the snazzy "swirl" animation), or just closing it and re-opening it.

If you've done that and no luck, sorry, I have no suggestions other than maybe trying to restart the computer or reinstall that particular widget from the OSX DVD.

Quixotist

Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
The refreshing it didn't work, but I got a solution from the Apple Support Forums. I dragged the preferences file for the widget onto my desktop from Users/myuser/library/preferences and restarted, works fine now. Thanks anyways.

sayaka86

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2007
hi, i m having exactly the same problem as you, and well i'm not very good with computers. only know the baisc stuff. so would you mind bringing me into the step by step on how u got it to work? it's such a pain when i cant' translate my stuff. thanks

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I assume you're asking about how to remove the preference. Here would be the full process:

1) Close the widget--click on the + at the bottom of the Dashboard screen, then little X in the upper left hand corner of the widget to close it. Close dashboard.

2) Search for "widget-com.apple.widget.translation.plist" -- you should find one file with that exact name. Throw that file in the trash.

3) Now, go back to Dashboard and re-open the widget. It should be fixed.

If using the "Find" command isn't working, do this:

Find your user folder--it should be in the left side of any Finder window with an icon that looks like a little house.

In that folder, there will be a folder called "Library". Within "Library" there is a "Preferences". Within "Preferences", you should be able to find a file called "widget-com.apple.widget.translation.plist"--drag that to the trash.

Hopefully that helps!

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
I assume you're asking about how to remove the preference. Here would be the full process:

1) Close the widget--click on the + at the bottom of the Dashboard screen, then little X in the upper left hand corner of the widget to close it. Close dashboard.

2) Search for "widget-com.apple.widget.translation.plist" -- you should find one file with that exact name. Throw that file in the trash.

3) Now, go back to Dashboard and re-open the widget. It should be fixed.

If using the "Find" command isn't working, do this:

Find your user folder--it should be in the left side of any Finder window with an icon that looks like a little house.

In that folder, there will be a folder called "Library". Within "Library" there is a "Preferences". Within "Preferences", you should be able to find a file called "widget-com.apple.widget.translation.plist"--drag that to the trash.

Hopefully that helps!

These steps fix my translation widget when it goes buggy.

Marisheezy

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2008
I Lost the Apples Translation Widget, Somebody help me with the set up

Hello, i just deleted the Apples Widgets Translator bcos i was finding it difficult suing the widget after it started showing me errors.. I have read from this thread and regret my deleting of this file.. Pls can someone help me with the set up, so that i can download it back on my mac..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.