Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kakkoiimac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2006
Paradise
here is a screen shot of my activity monitor. There are 3 differenct dashboard apps taking up tons of my cpu %... I dont know how this happend or what i should do to fix it. This just started happening recently...last time this happened i just ended the processes. But now, it seems to be a repeating issue. Any help would be great thanks

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    54.3 KB · Views: 83

SpaceJello

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2006
Could this possibly be that your dashboards has a load of PowerPC apps when you are running on Intel? I have found that some widgets because they haven't been updated for universal binary, that do take up a bit of time... perhaps its a good idea to go through each widget one by one and see what's going on.

kakkoiimac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2006
Paradise
umm...i went and check the stuff like you said..and it all of my widgets are taking up like 0 cycles...and yet this unexpectedly popped up again

the dashboard client said the parent process is airtraffic controller i dont know if that is the widget...but i dont even use that one. ok..im getting a little worried about it...

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    54.6 KB · Views: 84

SpaceJello

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2006
the dashboard client said the parent process is airtraffic controller i dont know if that is the widget...but i dont even use that one. ok..im getting a little worried about it...

Sounds suspicious to me...I suggest either restarting the computer without having that widget activated on your dashboard and see what happens. Is this the widget you talking about?

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/networking_security/airtrafficcontrol.html

If that doesn't work try stopping your dashboard from starting at all and see if that dashboard client process is even on. At least then we know its definitely something to do with the dashboard.. (which I am pretty sure) but never hurt to try if all things fail.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/22101

kakkoiimac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2006
Paradise
i did a little snooping around and i think it had to do with a wifi sniffer...it is really hard to recreat what happened because the wifi stuff is always changing...to i got rid of that third party app and hopefully that will have solved the problem

melakev

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2006
Mpls-St Paul, MN
Corrupt dashboard client preference plist file

Look for a file named com.apple.dashboard.client.plist in your users > username > Library > Preferences folder, and drag it to the Desktop and reboot. Once you've restarted it should fix the problem. I had the same thing happening and also traced it with the Activity Monitor.

After you restart, you can drag that corrupted pref file on your desktop to the trash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.