Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

durangopup

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2008
I'm having a new problem with Sing that iTune! and wondering if anyone has experienced or fixed this problem.

I am using version 3.1.3. Sing that iTune! will not even try to find some song lyrics. On select songs I don't even get the "Loading" or "Not Found" messages. The lyric box on Sing remains blank.

johnthegreen

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2008
Cease and desist?

My sing that itunes widget was working great. I was very impressed. One day, it simply stopped searching for lyrics. I had absolutely 0 system changes. I did some reading to find many of the lyrics fetchers were written "cease and desist" letters, apparently, there are issues of monetary gain and rights for certain groups of people. It would be real shame if this is the case with sing that itune. :mad:

skeep5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2006
AZ
I was actually wondering if you have to "donate" to the sing that itunes creator or your widget won't work... mine mysteriously stopped working too,

mickywi

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2008
How to fix Sing That ITune

My sing that itunes widget was working great. I was very impressed. One day, it simply stopped searching for lyrics. I had absolutely 0 system changes. I did some reading to find many of the lyrics fetchers were written "cease and desist" letters, apparently, there are issues of monetary gain and rights for certain groups of people. It would be real shame if this is the case with sing that itune. :mad:

This is because the url it uses to fetch the lyrics has changed. You can fix this.
Find the Sing That ITune Widget on your mac. It will either be in /Users/yourid/Library/Widgets or /Library/Widgets

You will need to have some familiarity with the command line interface.

open a Terminal (found in Applications/Utilities)
cd to where you found your Sing That Itune widget
example
cd ~/Library/Widgets/Sing\ that\ iTune\!.wdgt/Scripts

that will take you the Scripts directory in Sing That iTune
now you will need to edit the file sti.js

I use vim, which is installed with Mac OS X

but you can use TextEdit like so:

/Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit sti.js

that will pop up the file in the TextEdit application.

Find the line that reads: seek.sing365.com:8080
you will need to remove the colon and 8080

so it will then read seek.sing365.com with everthing before seek, and after 8080 remaining.

Save the file.
quit your editor.

now bring up dashboard, make sure the Sing That Itune widget is highlighted,
Hit Command+R which will refresh it.

Walla, that should work.

jakecar

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2008
Thank you for that short guide on how to fix Sing that iTune! Unfortunately for me, there is no :8080 on that line you stated. The problem with my widget is that it finds the song and album, but not the lyrics!

renshi

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2008
Sing That iTunes Widget Loading Failure

At one time, this widget worked fine for me. I beleive that was a couple of versions ago. The latest version, 3.1.10 running under OS X 10.4.11, seems to grab the song title and author but hangs loading the actual lyrics. I've deleted it, reinstalled, turned off all other widgets, restarted, etc. all to no avail.

Any ideas? And while I am at it, what I'd really like is a widget/application that operates like a karioke (sp?) system and scrolls the lyrics in time with the music. Is there anything out there like that?

Thanks!

karenflower

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2007
I've been looking for a Sing that iTune alternative too. Harmonic works really well, thanks for the recommendation. :)

renshi

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2008
Seems Bare Bones

I thought Harmonic seemed a bit bare bones. I'd really like a widget that would also automatically paste the lyrics into iTunes. Harmonic may be able to do that but I could not see where. Guess I'll have to look again at it. Seems like this is an area where there would be a wealth of options - not just two (and one that doesn't seem to work).

durangopup

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2008
I agree, it is bare bones. However, it should automatically download lyrics and past them in itunes. Mine does anyway. I can't see any configurable part of it that would not allow me to do that.

Back to Sing!... I just remembered that when I was using it, there was a point where it quit working for me and I got it to start working again by deleting the SING! lyrics folder /documents/Sing that iTune!. Apparently the default installation creates this directory for all the lyrics stored (organized similar to the way itunes does by artist and then album). Deleting this did not remove lyrics that it had already saved to itunes and it re-created the file structure the next time it searched for lyrics. Just an fyi....

miglimjapandres

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2008
Thanks! :)

I agree, it is bare bones. However, it should automatically download lyrics and past them in itunes. Mine does anyway. I can't see any configurable part of it that would not allow me to do that.

Back to Sing!... I just remembered that when I was using it, there was a point where it quit working for me and I got it to start working again by deleting the SING! lyrics folder /documents/Sing that iTune!. Apparently the default installation creates this directory for all the lyrics stored (organized similar to the way itunes does by artist and then album). Deleting this did not remove lyrics that it had already saved to itunes and it re-created the file structure the next time it searched for lyrics. Just an fyi....

Thank you very much! Though I already downloaded Harmonic, I still prefer Sing that iTune! :] Thank you thank you thank you for helping me make it work again :D

grtgrfx

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2008
Harmonic's lyric resource is short on tunes!

I've been looking for a Sing that iTune alternative too. Harmonic works really well, thanks for the recommendation. :)

I've found that the lyrics site that Harmonic uses is woefully short on songs by less well-known artists. And by that I mean alternative, electronica and rock by any number of popular artists such as Jazzanova, Ursula Rucker, Kraftwerk, Femi Kuti, Thievery Corporation and plenty of others. It's nice that they have some, but disappointing that the library isn't more complete.

On the other hand, it works a lot better than Sing That iTune! does now. :mad:

ankedesign

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2008
STI vs Quicksilver?

I am also experiencing problems with sing that itune. Although it constantly states 'Not found', it IS saving lyrics on the documents-folder.
But it only seems to save the lyrics of the songs and albums I played using my Quicksilver shortcut ('Trigger'). Didn't show any lyrics in the widget still, only the titles and artists.

Does anyone use STI and Quicksilver, and experience similar problems?
(using STI 3.1.10 on Leopard 10.5.5, Itunes 8.0.2)

-update-
Even the files in the STI doc appear to be empty. I doubt now if it has anything to do with Quicksilver.. It just doesn't seem to work.. :(

delicious

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2009
Try Harmonic

I am also experiencing problems with sing that itune. Although it constantly states 'Not found', it IS saving lyrics on the documents-folder.
But it only seems to save the lyrics of the songs and albums I played using my Quicksilver shortcut ('Trigger'). Didn't show any lyrics in the widget still, only the titles and artists.

Does anyone use STI and Quicksilver, and experience similar problems?
(using STI 3.1.10 on Leopard 10.5.5, Itunes 8.0.2)

-update-
Even the files in the STI doc appear to be empty. I doubt now if it has anything to do with Quicksilver.. It just doesn't seem to work.. :(

I have this problem as well, using Leopard 10.5.6 and iTunes 8.1, I get the 'Not Found...' Message as well, and I had the same problem with pearlyrics, although it's now out of development. I too use Quicksilver so it may in fact be a conflict. I tried mucking around with the code but couldn't fix it. However, I tried using Harmonic, and it works really well and adds all the lyrics to iTunes. Not as many features as STI (unfortunate acronym really) but does the job I was looking for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.