Dashcode noob

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by cworsley4, Dec 15, 2007.

1. cworsley4 macrumors member

Hello everyone I am very interested in developing and writing code. I thought that making my own countdown to Christmas widget. You no something very basic. So there is here is my question: I want the user of the widget to be able to go to the back side enter in how long it is until Christmas, hit down and it start counting down. If it is possible it would be nice for it to automatically start counting down without the user being able to do anything. It would just look at the system time and go from there. I dont no any code or language yet I am just doing it GUI style. If anyone now of some links to learn how to right code. Or get an anwser. some tutorials. Thanks

Cecil:apple:
    MBP 2.4
    2 gig
    leopard
    leopard version of dashcode

2. ledd macrumors newbie

Widgets are essentially just web pages. They use CSS, javascript etc... to add extra functional but a widget can be as simple html file.

What the widget in addition needs is Info.plist file which is where the widgets looks at the find its "goods" (code, images, etc...)

Since you have no code knowledge I would advise looking at a simple html tutorial and then following it up with reading this Apple Doc on making widgets.

http://developer.apple.com/macosx/dashboard.html