Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sartrekid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2014
Germany
I've been using my DasKeyboard for quite a few years now and it's been my absolute favorite keyboard ever. A few weeks ago, I bought a new iMac 5k and this iMac does not play nice with the keyboard.

There's one key/character that is wrongly mapped and it's really bothering me because I write a lot, especially scripts and the like. It's the "<" key that is wrongly mapped as the "^" key and it's driving me bonkers! I have no clue why it does that. My language settings seem just fine.

I plugged in the Apple keyboard that came with the iMac and that one is working as it's supposed to, no issues. I also plugged the DasKeyboard back into my old 5k iMac and there, too, are no issues.

Does anyone know what could possibly be wrong here? I'm running Sierra.

sartrekid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2014
Germany
Thank you for your response. That doesn't seem to work. I don't see the ability to change those specific keys.

I remember having had such an issue a couple of years ago and reinstalling the OS did the trick. I kind of don't want to go through that process but maybe it's my best option. Or perhaps there's a small script/app that allows me to modify/remap single keys.

Thanks for your input, @Fishrrman!

sartrekid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2014
Germany
This is a heads-up for anyone who has a similar issue with the DasKeyboard 4 Professional or any other keyboard. I found this little (free) app called Karabiner that allows you to remap keys and lots more.

I found out that - for whatever reason - the keyboard would use ANSI instead of ISO, regardless of how I configure it in preferences/keyboard. Uninstalling and re-installing didn't help either. This app allowed me to manually change it and that solved my issues.

Here's a link to the app: https://pqrs.org/osx/karabiner/index.html

I hope this helps someone.

PS: For anyone who's looking for a mechanical keyboard; I can highly recommend the DasKeyboard 4 Professional. It's the best keyboard for Mac I've ever used. I'm using the Cherry MX Blue switches and they feel and sound absolutely amazing, especially because the build of this keyboard is so top notch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.