Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zzzmaillists

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2012
HI, I have searched much older earlier threads and

my old 2009 iMac has died, it had digital optical in (those were the days)
im left with a Mac mini 2017 , MacBook Air 2015 and a MacBook 2017

I also own Cambridge Audio DAC MAGIC
a FOSI DAQ Q4 and a Teac np-h750

I can get Audio out of my Mac with all three devices, but I can't get Audition to recognise the input when connected by USB

All 3 of my Macs will spit Audio Out, but none will receive the digital IN !

Any help, gratefully appreciated. Im not getting any younger and want to back up some older recordings

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
I think you might need line in for Audition, not digital input. Have not explored as just use microphone input.

zzzmaillists

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2012
thanks @ssme appreciate the reply, anybody else know how I can get digital out from DAT with my devices please to backup my music

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Ideally you need an audio interface with an optical input. You're ten years too late for these to still be commonplace. Maybe search USB sound card optical input on eBay. No point me linking you anything because i'm here in the UK and most contributors are not.

zzzmaillists

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2012
hi, thanks, I am UK. and still have a lot of 90s Audio equipment, thanks for the tip

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
You're in the UK? Ah cool well search ebay for USB audio interface. There is a small blue one that costs very little which is usually advertised as a 5.1 sound card, it has an optical input. You will need some kind of converter to plug it into your USB socket because I'm pretty certainly it will come with a USB B lead, even though Apple would have you believe that new gear with USB B leads were last for sale in 1836.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
Hi. I had a studio in the nineties. Lots of relatively cheap analog gear, and I "mastered" to a home stereo Denon 20bit DAT, I luckily got all the material transferred to my G4 and 2008 mac pros, via their optical inputs, before the tapes degraded.

I guess you'll have to look into getting a cheap usb interface with optical inputs, or S/PDIF for that matter. A couple of hundred dollars, max. I guess you could get an old mac pro with optical in for that price also. And you could sell it later. Good luck.

And any audio editor app worth using should be able to record from digital inputs. Easiest thing in the world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.