Data and file sharing

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Rhyalus, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

Hello All,

I have a few PCs running Win 7 and a MBP running Snow Leopard (with no intention to upgrade the OS).

I need an ipad for work, and I am wondering how to share data between devices. I think that iCloud needs 10.7 OS, and I would not want to pay, anyway.

Can someone advise the best way to get files to and from the ipad give the lack of memory card slots or USB?

Thanks,
    R

2. neutrino23, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012

neutrino23 macrumors 68000

Use Dropbox. 5GB free (last time I checked, this number tends to grow over time). Doesn't cost much to expand beyond that and add more features. You get a folder on all your devices showing the same documents. You simply drag a document into that window and it appears on all your devices. It does require Internet access.

I can't find the restrictions on the free account. It might limit the number of devices you can use. Even so, you could get some functionality by setting up a pinlic folder just for your own use.

iCloud is great for some things (iWork, contacts, etc.), but for general purpose file sharing use Dropbox.

3. rahul247rocks macrumors member

rahul247rocks

There are several options:

1. For Images and Apps with iCloud Support you need to download the iCloud Client for Windows. Then you can share the files via cloud.

2. For any word document, PDF etc. use Dropbox or Google Drive or use both and arrange accordingly for more space.

3. Finally use USB Disk for iPad that turns your iPad as a storage device. You can use this for all those files that are not supported by the rest of the cloud applications.

4. I'm a ROb macrumors member

Dropbox

Dropbox would also be my choice.

Assuming you've got this covered, but be sure your work 'allows' you to use a cloud service. There might be some data-confidentiality issues. There are also apps available that allow you to upload docs to your iPad directly. Your iPad is then temporarily turned into a web server that is only accessible from within the network. 'Documents 2' has this ability, but I'm sure there must be others as well.

5. Rhyalus thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

Thanks guys... Using Dropbox and it is working fine....

Kind of miss a file manager and USB drive access, but I will get over it!

R

6. Thegolem macrumors regular

I do that and ifiles but now I'm getting error 403 which means I can no longer move files back and forth between Dropbox.

7. rahul247rocks macrumors member

rahul247rocks

Where are you getting the error? Inside the dropbox app??

8. Thegolem macrumors regular

No. It's when I try to upload a file from within iFiles. Any idea what's going wrong?
    Thanks

9. rahul247rocks macrumors member

rahul247rocks

You need to jailbreak your device.

10. Thegolem macrumors regular

It's working now. I found an Edit settings option in ifiles Sidebar Dashboard which enabled me to relog in to Dropbox from ifiles and move files and folders between them again.

11. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

DROPBOX!

My whole company uses it and it works no matter what platform they have. I keep all my personal stuff and yet can give permission for "others" to see the company files. It auto syncs all of my computers flawlessly. It even downloads my iPhone images to Dropbox automatically!

Been using it for several years and have found no better, but then I am not looking!

12. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I haven't found anything better than Dropbox even after looking. And their additional storage is reasonably priced.