Data and how it works???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AFPoster, Jun 2, 2010.

1. AFPoster macrumors 68000

So with the new plans from AT&T on data and tethering it leaves me to be curious on how this works. I am very upset with the company just trying to gain more money being the greedy company that it is which will lead to it's downfall, but until they I need help understanding this.

How is data calculated?
    Does data count if you're on a wi-fi network or just on the 3g / 4g / Edge?
    With tethering and a limit of 2gb how much browsing of the web, uploading e-mail and sending e-mails off can you actually do and for how long before you run out.

2. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Sorry I am not contributing an answer but I was wondering the same... Theoretically... let's just say we could download files... If I went to a website and downloaded a 7mb song.... would that "use" 7mb?

I do know that wifi does NOT use data. However, that brings up another question... is data calculated differently on 3g/edge?

Ugh.

Thanks for the contribution to this thread! :rolleyes:
    I have no clue how it works and I am somewhat upset... I don't want to have to "check" on my status all month to make sure I don't go over... I think the OP feels the same.

3. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

BOLD is the answers

4. nateharr macrumors 6502

Jessica! You're sarcasm is needed here!

Data usage is calculated based on how much data is sent and received by your phone.

This does not include WIFI internet usage.

2GB seems to be a lot of data and according to AT&T 98% of iPhone users use less than 2GB of data per month.

You can maybe look at the thread with all the data graphs to get a feel for how much data 200MB/2GB truly is.

5. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

6. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

So basically you don't even understand how data works but you're mad that AT&T created cheaper plans for people who don't use much data, i.e. 98% of their customers, and will actually save them money?

7. iphonetic macrumors member

Agree with this. It will benefit ALOT of users currently.

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Their grasp of the situation is...tenuous at best. I've never understood how people think AT&T could charge you for WiFi usage.

9. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Since 98% are happy with the new data plans, AT&T should just dump the 2% data hogs, whiners, and illegal tetherers. That will free up bandwidth for everyone else, lower the price for everybody and guarantee 100% satisfaction!!! Now I just have to find the email address of the CEO....

I love these new plans!!!! :D

10. nateharr macrumors 6502

To me, that is the only reason AT&T is making the switch.

Apple is sure to announce a ton of new features that will seriously eat up data usage. By imposing the limit now, they can avoid the network crashing mayhem that would normally occur.

I seriously doubt a multibillion dollar company like AT&T cares about saving their customers $5 a month.

11. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

What features will be those? Video calling? We've had that in Europe for ages, it is and always was a novelty and nobody uses it. Most phones stopped having the video calling feature because no one used it. Plus it was never charged as data, it was charged as expensive calls, which AT&T could do too if they're worried about people using it too much.

12. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 68000

I am well above the 2gb mark. Luckily I will be grandfathered in for the iPhone plan, but when I buy my iPad I will be hurting from what it looks like. I mean if you think about it taking road trips and browsing the net will more than likely exceed the 2gb limit. Then using the iPad and iPhone for tethering will obviously surpass the limit as well. AT&T sucks for this, my opinion.

13. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Just don't forget to refill your data every night by plugging it in. I usually end up with 65% at the end of the day, but I plug it into my computer at the end of the day and wake up with 100% every morning. That way, you won't run out in the middle of the day.

:D Yes, I'm joking.

14. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 68000

Refill your data? How can you refill it, is it free or does it continuously cost you?

15. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

I'm joking ;)

16. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 68000

Oh, umm.. agh, geese I knew you were joking, haha.