Data Backup Jailbreak with iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by csky12, Oct 14, 2011.

1. csky12 macrumors newbie

I have a jailbroken iPhone 4 running 4.2.1 and I am planning to update to ios5
    so I was wondering if I backup the data (sms, contacts, photos, etc) through itunes, and update to ios5 and then restore the backup, with there be any long term problem? because I read through some posts, people mentioning that backing up from a jailbroken iphone and then restore will have issues. Is this true or just rumours? because the sms and contacts are very important to me, I don't want to risk losing it

thank you for all the inputs

2. csky12 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

I am trying to find out the same thing. There seems to be very little discussion about starting fresh on the iP4s vs trying to restore from a backup.

I just want to know if it is safe to TRY. So that if I try, and it doesn't, can I go back to what I had before?

So, can I BACK up the new iP4s. Then, try to restore from the last back up from my JBed iP4?

4. csky12 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, seems like no one knows

5. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

Well, I thought I would answer my own question. I did a restore from backup, and it worked very well.

In fact a few apps that I was trying out, and had created data for but had not decided to commit to, when I bought the app, the data was there intact, so I am pretty excited.