Data Backups - not system backup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by coogee, Jan 19, 2009.

1. coogee macrumors regular

I'm not too fussy about backing up my iMac, it's just a Home Computer, I'd reinstall it all if need be.

What I am fussy about is all my media - Music, Movies, Pictures, TV and Documents.

I've been careful that all these reside in specific locations so can be easily backed up.

All I want to achieve is an automated way to copy these sub-directories (and all their contents) from iMac to various other locations, like NAS or Time Capsule.

I've looked at CCC but it seemed like it was creating an image. I don't want that, I want an exact copy of the files in another location.

Currently I just Copy/Paste to achieve this when I feel inclined. Easier way to do it? Or am I being a dumbass about CCC/Super Duper etc.. Cheers. :eek:

2. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Time Machine only backs up your files, not the system stuff, and you can manually select directories that you want to exclude from the backup. If you don't want to go that route, there are tons of third-party backup apps that will do what you're looking for.

If your important stuff isn't too big, Dropbox is a great solution since it will let you maintain an off-site backup. The free account is only 2 GB, though.

4. coogee thread starter macrumors regular

Just to answer my own question after a bit of looking around last night - Toast Titanium 10 says it can

Will check that out I think and I'll update this thread if it works..

I'm guessing Automator could do this too but I'm a total n00b so far as that goes.

* Thanks for Time Machine idea ^ but, for me, I find Time Machine just sh*ts on my network 24/7 and I just want one simple copy of the data elsewhere, not to have to worry about using an application (even an OS X one) to recover it. :)

5. cliffbennett macrumors newbie

I like DataBackup from Prosoft

I bought it at an Apple user group meting where ProSoft was presenting and giving discount.

I tested it out at work where I had a couple of servers to play with, and ended up using it for scheduled backup of the main share volume on one server, and a manual setup for two other low-traffic locations. Seems like exactly you describe -- this folder here, that volume there, etc.

I'm no IT guy, so it's got to be somewhat user friendly. I define a backup and give it a name. From then on it's in a drop-down. I can schedule one or two regular backups, or just hit "Do it now." Either way, I can go to the backup drive later and use the finder to get what I want, instead of being tied down to some scary "recover" routine. It just makes copies -- not databases.

Anyway, now I have to buy another license for home.

:rolleyes:

6. blodwyn macrumors 65816

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yeah, it's definitely a handy app. I used it with my iBook until I got Dropbox.