Data cataloging software?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gameface, May 2, 2011.

1. gameface macrumors 6502

When I am done with edit projects I pull them from my RAID and archive them to drives via a docking station (can't afford LTO at the moment). Depending on the project they could be anywhere from 100G to ~2TB. Most are in the 300G-1TB range. So, I buy 2TB drives and put multiple projects on them.

Here's my problem, I am building up a stack of drives and don't really KNOW what is on each one. I mean I have a rough idea but I'm not sure. Example... I worked on 2 seasons of the same show and we used the same music. To save space I deleted all the music files from one of the project folders because I don't need all that music twice. But I forgot which one I did it to and since they were a year apart they are on separate drives. Not a big deal but I would like to streamline so I'm not popping drives in randomly for no reason if I need to access something.

So, to make a long story longer, I am looking for cataloging software that will create a database of all files in all folders of each drive. I need this to be searchable so I can just pop it open, type in a name and it will show me what drive and the path to that file. Anyone know of a good solution?

Thanks

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

This isn't a database solution, but it is searchable.

Open a Terminal window.

Navigate to the root folder of the drive.

Type "ls -R >> filelist.txt" without the quotes.

This will create a text file called filelist.txt which lists all files and their paths.

3. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68030

OldSchoolMacGuy

I used DiskTracker a lot years ago and liked it but to be honest, those where back in the OS 8/9 days. It's still around now and regularly updated.

DiskCatalogMaker has also been around for a long time and seems to have a good following along with regular updates.