Data CONSTANTLY being read...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BeSweeet, Nov 9, 2009.

1. BeSweeet macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

My hard drive in my uMBP CONSTANTLY sounds like something is being written or read from it. Even with no applications open, it will always sound like this.

Opening up Activity Monitor gave some interesting results:
    [​IMG]

Is this something I should be worried about? Is this normal?

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

At the top, set the drop down to 'All Processes' and sort by CPU usage. Post that screenshot.

3. BeSweeet thread starter macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

This seems about right. NTFS-3G is using between 10% and 30% CPU usage at all time. Only using 22.3MB of memory at all times, though.

Looked through some of the settings for NTFS-3G in System Preferences. There was a checkbox that read 'File system caching enabled'. It was checked, so I now unchecked it. Will restart in a bit to see if this helps, which I think it will.

4. Amdahl macrumors 65816

I doubt that checkbox is the cause. But if NTFS-3G is the only app using CPU, it is logical that NTFS-3G is the cause. Have you checked it for updates?

It could also be Spotlight. If you go into System Preferences, Spotlight, Privacy, and put the NTFS drive in the list, does the activity stop? (I thought NTFS wasn't indexed by Spotlight anyway, but it never hurts to confirm.)

5. BeSweeet thread starter macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

Yes, I've checked NTFS-3G for updates, and it hasn't been updated since earlier this summer. Seems like they are abandoning it for their new commercial program.

But yeah, changing its settings didn't do anything, and neither did adding my Windows 7 (NTFS) drive to the 'Privacy' section.

I noticed that the second I unmount my Wndows 7 drive, the ntfs-3g process drops all the way to the bottom of the list, and the disk read rate is virtually nonexistent.

6. Amdahl macrumors 65816

That is strange.. NTFS-3G would probably only be doing lots of access if it is doing a CHKDSK on the drive. Does it do that? I don't know myself.

Are you sure there isn't some other app using very small CPU that might be the cause of the data access?

7. BeSweeet thread starter macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

Most of my processes are using maybe .1% usage, which is normal, and maybe one that uses 1-2. Disk read access is less than a meg a second most of the time when no app is open, which is what I want :).

8. mmdc macrumors newbie

Sometimes after using Spotlight, my HDD doesn't stop crunching.

Even after launching an application from Spotlight, I have to go back into it and make sure the field has been blanked out or else it keeps searching... This usually stops the random HDD activity.

9. BeSweeet thread starter macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

I noticed that as well. I'm going to start clearing the field out after I open apps, but things seem to be way down since I disabled NTFS-3G.
    They need to update it for Snow Leopard.