Data Coverage on Unlocked Iphone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by leons, May 19, 2010.

1. leons macrumors 6502

I am in China with an unlocked Iphone. I put a friends China Mobile SIM in and Data worked fine (the Iphone indicates "E" Coverage). I then purchased my own SIM, but they tell me that it will take 24 hours to activate data for me. But the phone does not show ANY indication of Data Signal (no 3G or E Symbol). My 2 questions are:

1) Does anyone know if China Mobiles 3G Network is on the same frequency as AT&Ts? Can't figure why I got E instead of 3G.

2) I think it's strange that I don't get ANY data symbol (E or 3G) with my new chip. China Mobile has not "turned on" data for it yet, but I thought that the symbol would just indicate the PRESCENCE of a data signal, regardless if data was activated or not. Am I correct? If so, what could be the reason that I am not getting a 3G or E symbol (and my friends CM chip put in 5 min. before gave an E and worked with data).

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

According to Wikipedia, China Mobile uses TD-SCDMA for 3G, which I believe is not compatible with current iPhones.

3. leons thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for that. Anyone know why one China Mobile SIM would give an "E" Symbol and one not?