Data Doctors?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gpatrick15, Apr 13, 2011.

1. gpatrick15 macrumors regular

Has anyone used this service before to get their laptops repaired? http://www.datadoctors.com/ppc/327/3
    I'm not sure exactly what the issue is, all I know is that my MBP 13" will not charge, and I have tried multiple chargers. I don't have apple care, so I'm weighing all of my non-Apple Store options.

2. unrealmatt3 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Have you tried replacing the battery?

3. gpatrick15 thread starter macrumors regular

I haven't. I talked to another repair store and they priced a new battery at $130. I need it diagnosed, and that's another $50. $180 isn't too ridiculous. Data Doctors charge $99 for the diagnostic, but include it with the final repair cost, whatever that may be. If I go the Apple route, any idea of a price to fix whatever the problem is?

4. unrealmatt3 macrumors newbie

Yeah I am not to sure about the data doctor $99 for diagnostic. I would recommend taking it in to apple.

Side note If you are like me and like to do things yourself just take the bottom plate off the MBP and take the battery out and see if you can run it without the battery. If it runs then you will know its the battery but if not then you have two more things to look at the charger it self and/or the charging port.
    Taking the battery out void your warranty so don't do that if you still have a warranty...but then again you wouldn't be on here asking for help.

5. c1phr macrumors 6502

I would take it or send it to Apple. Data doctors (at least around here) has a reputation for screwing people, and charging them a lot of money for a repair that maybe only took a few minutes. Let alone the up front fee just for them to look at the machine.

That, and I'm not 100% sure they work on Macs, that could be a location to location based thing though.