Data Doubler and Battery life?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by greenbreadmmm, Oct 30, 2012.

1. greenbreadmmm macrumors regular

Hey everybody, Before i begin let me say i did a search and read through countless posts but did not find a definitive answer.

So basically this is my question.

Over summer I got a crucial 256 gb ssd and replaced my stock 500 gb 7200 rpm drive. Now I'm realizing that I do not like having an external drive. I want to install a data doubler and put the 500 gb drive into the opti bay.

What will the effect on my battery life be? I read everything from negligible difference, to two hours off a full charge?

I was kind of hoping for a definitive answer from the people on the forum. I can handle loosing around 30 minutes a charge, but if I am going to loose 2 hours I will continue to use it as an external.

Also I was wondering if a 2nd ssd would provide better battery vs the 7200 rpm drive.

Thanks for your help in advance and I am open to any suggestions or issues anyone else ran into while doing this.

2. jvpython macrumors 6502

It won't make much of a difference. An HDD or Optical drive use similar amounts of power. But obviously your HDD will be running more than the Optical drive. But even with that the power usage difference will be minimal especially if you have an SSD too.